Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

New 2-Week Running-Related Challenge: FB Strong Runner

Good morning FB Family! 

I am so excited for the release of our newest two-week challenge: 

FB Strong Runner

This two-week challenge is designed to help runners improve their running pace and form with carefully selected strength workouts, all of which include exercises that complement the biomechanics of running. Your body is a kinetic chain — your muscles do not work in isolation but rather move synergistically to enhance all movement from simple daily activities to advanced performance-focused sequences. This challenge includes a handful of easily modifiable optional runs with loose parameters so that you can tweak these additional trainings to accommodate your current goals (and fitness level).

If you’re not interested in the optional runs, not a problem! Tackle the workouts sans training runs to improve your activities of daily living and develop increased consistency with strength training regimens. This challenge is for everyone - new runners, experienced runners, non-running athletes…anyone who enjoys moving their body!    

Workouts are six days each week, average 32 minutes per day, and are mostly level 3 workouts to allow for enough energy to complete the optional runs. The challenge write-up includes suggestions on how to tackle this challenge based on your running experience but know that these suggestions are not prescriptions — they’re just recommendations. As always, you can add extra recovery days (especially if you’re not accustomed to the energy demands of adding running to your training schedule), switch out workouts, skip workouts, etc. Prioritize enjoyment of movement and make the schedule work for you! 

This was such a fun challenge for me to create! I love running and developing different training programs to improve my runs while simultaneously working on my strength goals. Running-focused program design was also something I used to work on frequently with clients when I was a personal trainer, and it was always a super fun (and rewarding) experience for everyone. At least I thought it was fun. If we choose to interpret an occasional angry stare from a client as fun then yes, training was always super-duper incredibly fun.   

This challenge is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my ideas for developing running-related programs. If there’s interest, a longer, more detailed running-related program could be in the works for the future. By “could be” I mean I’m already working on it and studying for a running certification. It’s pretty much impossible to stop my brain from brainstorming. 

FB Strong Runner includes FB Plus videos from DanielKelliTashaNicoleKaylaAmanda, and Marina

We all hope to see you on the screen!

-Tasha