Don’t let the title of this routine scare you off; by bigger butt workout, we don’t mean just plain larger or lazier looking, we mean firm, well shaped, and perky.
Related: 4 Week Booty Boot Camp: Butt and Thigh Program
The glutes are a large muscle that you want to keep strong. Weak glutes make for a butt that is prone to succumb to gravity, making it lie flat down your backside. The lack of strength in those muscles also makes for a vulnerability in your body’s structural integrity and strength that you don’t want working against you.
Squat myths, busted: Do squats make your legs bigger or smaller?
This video takes up a whopping 5 minutes of your day, but you will certainly feel a burn in your butt and thighs by the time you are done. These 5 short minutes are not for sissies. If you find this routine easy – or if you really want to make your butt look more shapely & round – do the entire thing while holding weights at shoulder height.
Because it’s so short, there are multiple ways that you can use this routine in your own program; here are a few examples:
- As a standalone workout to wakeup your muscles, get your metabolism revved, burn a few extra calories, and boost your mood.
- As a way to really burnout those lower body muscles, you can tack this onto the end of a longer lower body routine, just to make sure that those muscles are going to be sore (in a good way) the next day.
- In conjunction with our other short videos you can design your own full length exercise program for the day exactly the way you want it, 5-10 minutes at a time. For example, you could combine this lower body video with our 37 Minute HIIT Cardio Workout, a Pilates workout, or even an upper body or core/abs workout. Design it any way you want it to reach your own personal goals.
- 5 Fast paced minutes – no rest at all & very short transition times between exercises (it only takes 5 minutes, make the most of them!)
- No equipment
- No warm up or cool down (though both are recommended)
- 5 Exercises
1 Minute Lunges + Lifts (left leg forward)
30 Seconds Lunge Pulses (left leg forward)
1 Minute Lunges + Lifts (right leg forward)
30 Seconds Lunge Pulses (right leg forward)
1 Minute Double Dip Squats
30 Second Static Hold
30 Seconds Squat Pulses
How many calories does this burn?
We estimate that this Fitness Blender workout for a bigger buttocks burns 7-12 calories per minute. This is a relatively high expenditure per minute, but because it only lasts 5 minutes, you are looking at burning only 35-60 calories total. That’s nothing to scoff at, but it’s not enough exercise for a whole day in terms of losing weight or keeping it off. That’s why this routine is a good candidate for combining with other short Fitness Blender videos or for using as a supplement to our lengthier workouts.
How often can I do this?
When a muscle group is sore, it’s best to give it 24-48 hours to heal before you work it heavily again. Days where your lower body is sore are an excellent time to focus on challenging your upper body muscles (or vice versa). You can specifically and intensively target the upper and lower body muscles 2-3 x/week each. If doing this routine by itself doesn’t make your muscles sore the next day, combine it with one of our longer lower body workouts on the days that you do it in order to get the most out of those lower body sessions.