Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

FB Strong Review

Hi everyone! I'd like to provide a few thoughts on my experience with FB Strong, which I completed last weekend.

In the photo you can see my FB calendar. I began FB Strong on December 30, 2019, and completed it on January 25, 2020. That's 27 days, which is the fastest I have ever completed any FB 4- week program in my 4+ years as part of this community.

I selected FB Strong because well, duh, I wanted to increase my strength and lifting capacity, but also because I noticed that whenever I selected programs with a lot of HIIT, I wouldn't stick with it. I just don't like it, or it wears me out and I feel defeated, blah blah blah. I wanted a program with minimal HIIT, and FB Strong definitely delivered.

The program is 4 weeks long, with weeks 1,2, and 4 following a lower-upper-core-upper-lower split (roughly). Week 3 is a fun diversion including 3 total body workouts and 2 core workouts. I really enjoyed Weeks 1 & 2, found week 3 challenging, and Week 4 I was struggling with motivation but was gonna get this $H!t done!! I spent one day in the middle of the program sick as a dog as well, so rested on the couch, took a rest day the following Monday, and started working out again on Tuesday.

I did not follow any type of meal plan. I tried to eat real food most of the time, but of course would go out to eat a bit, indulge in an office treat here and there, etc. My goal was simply to build the habit of consistency of working out, and I didn't want to get flustered and anxious by trying to incorporate too many changes at once. I did, however, eat a bowl of oats about 90 minutes before lifting everyday.

I LOVED this program, and I am very happy with my results. I was able to build consistency with my workouts because they of course didn't contain the dreaded HIIT routines, and over the course of 4 weeks, my strength improved dramatically and now I am lifting heaver than I ever have before. Sometimes I am lifting the same as Daniel (only sometimes but still!). For a few specifics, here's a link to a post I wrote about the upper body descending reps workout:

https://www.fitnessblender.com/community/discussion/16830/fb-strong-day-23-workoutcomplete-thoughts

I didn't lose a single pound, BUT I did notice the following:

1. A pair of skinny jeans I have which previously only "fit" if the zip kept falling down now fits. The zip comes up all the way and doesn't fall down after I've shoved my belly into them. LOL

2. I can see muscle definition in my arms when I lift, and even though there's a generous layer of good ol' fat over them, I know it's there and that keeps me going.

3. My sleep and emotional health improved dramatically, I would workout after work, which I think helped me sleep. Something about strength training is very meditative, so I think my body relaxed itself at the end of the day. Emotionally, I feel more able to cope with anxiety, feelings of sadness, and other issues because I know that if nothing else, I will accomplish getting my #workoutcomplete for the day.

4. My buttocks have become more shapely, or maybe the Workout Complete leggings are just extra flattering!! LOL.

5. I work out in my office gym, and I have come to appreciate the small group of colleagues who are busy on the treadmills or bikes at the same time. It is just part of the day now. I work, I go to the gym. I had a realization before beginning this program that I have no excuses yet I was making them to keep myself from working out. But I have none, literally!

I hope this is helpful to any of you considering this program. Thanks for reading and as always, for your support!