How long after working out do you see results? A breakdown by goal

A lot of times when people start working out, they are really hoping to see results fast. To some extent, exercise makes you feel better immediately in the form of feel-good endorphins, but the majority of exercisers are after something a little more long term and visible, usually a leaner silhouette, the loss of fat, and gain of muscle.

Obviously, the kinds of results you are looking to see are going to influence the types of exercises that you start doing on a regular basis. Here’s a breakdown by goal of how long after you start training you should expect to notice your workouts creating a change in your body’s abilities and composition.

How long after you start working out do you gain muscle?
     There are a lot of variables that play into how quickly you gain muscle or strength after you start working out diligently. Baseline fitness, genetics, diet, specific training methods, gender, and age all play into how quickly you can gain muscle and strength.

Generally speaking, men can add between 1.5 – 2.5 pounds of muscle every month; the average gain is about half of a pound a week for someone diligently following a well structured program. Women will put on muscle mass at a slower rate than men (largely due to testosterone levels), roughly half as fast as men, or about ½ pound every 2 weeks or 1 lb a month.

How long after I start working out will I start losing weight?
     When you implement a regular exercise regime, you can see a difference in the numbers on the scale in as little as a week. If you combine your physical activity with healthy eating changes and reasonable calorie consumption, you can easily drop 2 pounds per week, starting at week one. In fact, people often see a loss more dramatic than two pounds in that first week as their body sheds extra water retention; just remember that 2 lbs/week is actually what you should aim for in terms of a rate that you can keep up and keep off.

How long will it take me to boost my cardiovascular endurance?
     With regular and intense cardio workouts, you can expect to notice a slight difference in your endurance within one week.

Continue pushing yourself with cardio workouts 4-5 days a week for two to three weeks and you will start to observe major changes in your lung capacity. Varying the types of cardio you do can prevent injury and boredom, and make for a more comprehensive level of fitness. For example, mix up your cardio workouts with time on the treadmill, elliptical and arc trainers, the row machine, swimming, bike riding, hiking, and more; whatever gets your heart rate up.

How long does it take to become more flexible?
     Increased flexibility is a worthwhile goal for anyone, of any age, fitness level or even fitness goal; everyone can benefit from it.

If you are doing workouts to become more flexible every day of the week, you will start feeling more limber and agile after just seven days.

How long after working out until I start to look more toned?
If you are doing regular workouts aimed at toning (high repetition, light weight: like this), you can see a difference in the form of more muscle definition in as little as two weeks. These are the kinds of exercises that might be challenging while you are doing the motion, but they typically do not really leave you with any muscle soreness the following day (heavy lifting or more focused strength training routines will).

You can technically do toning workouts everyday because they aren’t actually tearing muscles – just make sure to never repeat a workout on a muscle group that is still sore from a previous workout. When you train like this on a regular basis, muscles expect to be utilized, and so stay contracted in anticipation of making work easier when it does occur. This contraction is what makes the body feel “hard” and gives it the appearance of being more defined. This constant contraction burns extra calories because muscles are constantly contracted; if you stop training regularly, the body will stop contracting in order to save energy (calories).

It’s fast and relatively easy to gain muscle tone, but it’s also quick to fade if you stop doing it on a regular basis.

Consistency is important when it comes to any kind of fitness. Stick with your training, even if you aren’t seeing bulging muscles after day 2 of lifting or you can’t run 5 miles in 35 minutes after a week on the treadmill, time and commitment will get you the results you want to see.

Comments

Grapa

05/13/15 2:20pm

I absolutely love your workouts. Two weeks and already seeing results. Kind Regards from Mexico.

AuroraBorealis

05/12/15 9:16am

I'm new to fitness blender and I love the variety of workouts available. I can do them right at home with just a few weights, jump rope and a mat. I love the idea of being functionally fit, rather than just running mindlessly on a treadmill!! One question I have is when doing, for instance, a 10-15 minute HIIT workout, is it necessary to do more than one at a time? I've been conditioned to think that you have to do at least 30 minutes to get a good workout in. I welcome your thoughts on that.

ashley.martin8226

05/10/15 11:15pm

Before I found Fitness Blender I would do the Jillian Michaels videos. You two have made me so much more motivated and excited about working out than the Jillian Michaels videos ever did!

Can you please do a video with more nutritional advice? Could you give your opinions on things like: iifym, reverse diet, bulking, cutting, carb cycling, and any of the other "trendy" nutrition terms I see so much of on the internet.

You two are amazing and I appreciate everything you do so much!

aleenerz

05/05/15 12:21pm

I've been doing the booty boot camp program for 3 weeks now =D Wooohoo and I really like that some of the workout videos in that program have some kind of nutritional advice in them.

One thing I keep hearing about when trying to lose fat and gain muscle (at the same time) are things like "carb cycling" and "calorie cycling" in order to force your body to use more fat for energy instead of glycogen... I know you guys have mentioned in previous videos the importance of carbohydrates in a diet, but if you're ever in the mood to make a video about nutrition again, could you address these topics a bit and give your opinions?

I hate trying to do my own research on all these topics online because I get so many different results and I always feel like someone is trying to sell me a "diet" or some kind of "fad" ...

Love you guys =)

Anita Mills

03/27/15 11:28am

Hi I am really enjoying the 8 week workout plan and I just got the 4 week meal plan. I have a question about setting a realistic goal for myself. I am female 5'7" and weigh 136lbs. I have been working out on and off for the past 2 years and I feel like I am in pretty good shape. I can keep up with the harder versions on most workouts. My goal is to be rid of this last bit if belly fat that I have. I just can't seem to shake it.i don't necessarily want to be tinier, just looking healthy. I have set a goal of weighing 128lbs and was thinking of doing the 1400 calorie meal plan ( I already have clean eating as a lifestyle). Does this seem like a healthy realistic goal or should it just be satisfied with how I look and keep exercising? Thanks so much for all the great videos as a stay at home Mom of 4 girls it is really really a blessing!! Anita

Anita Mills

03/27/15 11:27am

rawanriyad

03/26/15 5:08pm

I had forced to left my workout for 5 days only and then i notice that my body gained weight why ? is that normal ?
is my body will become fast as it before i left ??

TXKay

03/23/15 11:30am

Just tried your first work out of the 5 day challenge. It was really good. I don't know about anyone else, but there are some questions posted by others here that I would like to see your answers to. Is there anyway you could post responses where we could read your answers? Thanks!

kathloonie

03/20/15 7:44am

oh, man. you guys are so flippin awesome.

rebecca.evans.796569

03/18/15 4:48pm

if i do a 30 min hit cardio and then a couple ten min abs n butt and then arms etc usual an hr n and half a day is it going to help me get rid of the last cuple pounds round my core ive been active working out for 3 yrs pretty regularly learning as i go and cant get the flat ab kangaroo pouch as they call it gone i eat pretty healty also im short and some things seem like they could be modified for shorter ppl lol

rdolan99

03/06/15 7:47am

If you are consistently working out in the morning is it better to have your breakfast before your workout or after?

izzmyk

03/06/15 6:48am

Hi guys, I just finished week one of the 4 week fat loss program and am also following the 4 week meal plan. I have been doing fine except for I am finding it hard to balance my evening eating with my workout. I tend to get nauseous easily from working out so what I do is eat my late afternoon snack around four or five. I don’t get home until 6 and then I work out, so I end up eating my dinner around 7:00pm or sometimes 8:00 pm. I heard that it is not good to be eating so late. Can let me know if this is okay or if I need to make changes in my meal times. Thank you so much

Milind

03/04/15 3:24am

Hi,

Can you please add a series of videos for "low noise" exercises for those of us living in dorms?

Thanks

larsona92

03/02/15 6:59pm

You guys are awesome, love all your videos. I have what some people call a weight loss plateau and i was wondering what your thoughts were on that and how to get back to losing weight and toning up. Thanks!!!!

Rapotts1

03/02/15 12:54pm

mdb

03/02/15 9:14am

Hey guys,

I love you both! I am on my 2nd round of the 8 week program for busy people. I work 12 hour shifts mostly nights and this program is excellent for me. The workouts are perfect and totally something I can do even after a shift.

I have two questions, first how do I get rid of that last layer of fat!! It's mostly my upper legs :/.

And second, would you guys be able to do a video specifically on proper form for the exercises you use?

knowyouronion

02/27/15 3:41pm

AnnaGP

02/25/15 1:11pm

Hi Guys, my question is: How often is cheating ok? I'm very good with keeping my exercise routine and eating healthy. When I stay home. However as soon as my social life kicks in I'm struggling. Going out having dinner with friends is something I do at least 2 a week and I feel like those meals ruin all the effort I've put in before. Ordering a salad whilst everyone is eating steak and french fries is not only difficult, but people instantly judge you as being not fun and obsessed with weightloss. Or everyone is sharing a cheese plate. And then the bottle of wine that friends are sharing. How do you deal with those situations? How often do you cheat? The only solution I have come up with is staying at home but my social life is too important.

Tribalbob

02/17/15 1:19am

Great video - I just started your 8-week program for busy people (the under 30 mins one). I'm about halfway through week 3 and haven't seen much in the way of fat loss/weight change, but I do feel like my endurance is increasing, at least.

gordita1

02/16/15 7:08am

My question is: as I try to loss the baby belly and muffin holders, what kind of exercise should be doing? Before I watched this video I think I have being jumping all over and even tough I have seeing some results I still having hard time loosing the last 10-15 pounds and the little belly (2 c-sections left a huge mark there) and can't really get to see a small waist. I try wight loss videos, some toning and Hiit, what I am doing wrong?, should i being doing only weight loss exercises and for how long? and what after that?and for how long? Help please :(

neoncrow

02/13/15 6:28am

I gotta say that I totally loved the bloopers in the end!
I'd like to hear more about muscle gain. It seems so complicated.. Is it true that cardio makes mass gain harder? How much cardio is ok if the goal is to gain mass, what are absolute no no's and etc. :)

tiffany

05/18/14 12:06am

Fat Burning Cardio Workout loved!!!