The lower abdominals are a trouble zone of stubborn fat for many people. The problem is, there is really no way to isolate the "lower abs", as the entire abdominal panel contracts together. A lot people will find that even as they are getting closer to their goal weight, that abdominal fat in this area doesn’t seem to want to budge. This is because spot reducing fat from any certain body part is not possible. Instead, a combination of regular cardio, strength training exercises, and an overall reduction in body fat percentage and increase in muscle content will help get rid of flabby areas. It takes a lot of consistent effort, but it can be done.
While it can be especially hard to target those last fatty deposits, these home workouts can help, particularly when combined with healthy eating.
- Beginner-intermediate (mid range cardio; plays an important role in losing fat): At Home Cardio Workout to Burn Fat and Tone (High & Low Impact Modifications)
- Advanced cardio (HIIT is excellent for burning fat): Brutal HIIT Workout - Bodyweight Only HIIT Workout to Burn Fat and Build Endurance
- Strength training + HIIT (both ideal for burning fat): Brutal Fat Burning Cardio HIIT + Dynamic Total Body Strength Training - FB Blend
- HIIT + Strength: Day 1 of Fitness Blender's 5 Day Workout Challenge to Burn Fat & Build Lean Muscle
- Workout for a strong, toned core: 24 Minute Ab Blasting Interval Workout - At Home Abs Workout
- We also have an entire 4 Week Core Program for toned abs, obliques & lower back
Technically, we’ve all got a great set of abdominal muscles. Whether or not you can see those muscles is determined by how much fat you have sitting on top of them. Total body strength training, cardio, routines like the one above, living an active lifestyle, and eating a healthy diet are all key components to getting rid of unhealthy belly fat. When it comes to getting defined core muscles, you truly have to embrace all aspects of physical fitness and healthy eating in order to see any progress.