E

Being out of shape due to knee issues; so demotivating!

Hi all!

Some time ago I posted a topic about alternative exercises for squads and lunges, due to pain: (https://www.fitnessblender.com/community/discussion/6758/alternatives-for-lunges-squats-easier-for-the-knees)

By now I've been to a medical and on my way to recovery under supervision of a physiotherapist. I've been diagnosed with Patello Femoral Painsyndrome, and a pretty severe form atm with chronic pain.

Now the pain is slowly fading away, I have to start thinking about rebuilding a workout routine. I will work on strengthening my knees with my physio, but he also told me look around for sports which do not hurt my knees. The only things I have found out so far that are not hurting me are wakeboarding (as weird as it seems) and swimming. But the season is over and getting my lazy ass to the pool is quite a thing atm.

You see, I've gotten so out of shape by now. I'm avoiding the confrontation. I feel weak, I feel fat, even though I am skinnier as before because I kept eating healthy. I just lost muscle mass. I used to be so fit and toned. And it is really demotivating that almost all workout- and yoga routines I can find to do at home, include a lot of bending the knees; something I simply can not do now. Even if I modify, I feel like I'm skipping half of the routine.

I'm stuck in a downward spiral of being demotivated and getting more out of shape. Do you guys have any tips or motivational words for me?

Cheers, Eva