Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Just finished FB Burn Round 1 with my mama:)

*Sorry if this is long. I just wanted to give as much detail about my journey as I could.

My mom and I started our first FB program on May 29th and just finished this Saturday, June 23rd. I have used Fitness Blender sporadically before but never stuck with it long enough to see results so I would just give up, not exercise for 3-5 days and then tell myself I would 'actually push myself this next time around.' I did manage to finish the free 5 day routine on Youtube, once, in order to lose a few pounds before my Prom but that was over a year ago and I ended up gaining those few pounds back since I never went back to a routine.

Sometimes I would create my own calendar with workouts from the FB Youtube channel but it wasn't motivating to me because I choose the hardest ones in order to 'lose weight quickly." I now realize there was two major problems with that. 1: My goal should not have been focused on the number on the scale. 2: It isn't the same as knowing a professional picked out workouts and placed them in a specific order like the FB programs.

After finally recognizing this pattern, I decided to actually figure out why I wanted to lose weight. I would always tear myself down, looking in the mirror, saying "Your so fat" and that would cause me to eat and not want to workout. I was so unhappy especially when the little voice inside my head who was suppose to cheer me on was just miserable.

I wanted to start the program right so I weighed myself and took measurements of my body. Since I would never be satisfied with the weight on the scale, I needed something to remind me of the real accomplishments I would be making. I also took pictures because I knew I wouldn't see the change since I looked at myself in the mirror everyday. Besides this, I kept telling myself that the number on the scale didn't matter because as I lost weight I would also be gaining some muscle so the number might not change as much as I would like. This was a big step for me because I spent most of my life obsessed with the number on the scale instead of the reality that I may never 'weigh-in skinny' but I can at least feel healthy and happy.

I decided to purchase a program because it would tell me exactly what exercises I needed to do and push me with the Extra Credit challenge. I also told my mom that I was starting a new program TODAY and that if she wanted to join me, she would have to start from the beginning. It would be difficult for her to just jump in on Day 5 and up( that's probably not true but at least she believed me right?) Along with the new program, I also started eating healthier. I stuck to small meals and a small snack in between. I snack a lot so I prepared for this with the small meals instead of forcing myself to a strict No snacking regimen.

The first week didn't seem to bad. I knew it would be hard but with the constant "what time are WE working out today?" from my mom, I was able to keep going. The program and my workout buddy kept me on track with the routine.

By the end of the 2nd week and beginning of the 3rd week my arms felt really sluggish. I think this was because I had actually developed some muscle in there and my arms weren't used to holding that little extra weight.

Here are the main things I noticed while doing this program. These are the real signs of improvement that I should have been focused on.

1- In the stretch were you bend over and lift your arms up over your head, I was able to do it like Kelli be the end. Before I would bend my elbows a lot because I had no flexibility in my shoulders and arms.

2- The stretch where you reach up and place your hand behind your neck/back, I can now pull my arm back much farther down and parallel with my upper arm. I used to only be able to reach back and touch the opposite side of my back.

3- By Day 5, my foot could touch my butt when stretching out the front of my thigh.

4- Bicycle crunches were terrible because my upper/lower back had no strength to left my head up and twist side to side. I just finished the FB Burn Round 2 Day 1 and the 60 seconds of Bicycle crunches were actually fun because I remembered back to that moment when I could barely left up.

5- The back of my thigh and butt looks 'separated'. Before I felt as if my thigh and butt kind of blended together but now the back of my thing looks straight and butt actually has a good shape to it. LoL.

6- My weight in my hips went done noticeably as my jeans are beginning fall and sag now.

7- My upper body/bust/back is smaller. Shirts that I never wore because they felt tight now fit without having to tug at them throughout the day. I would always feel self conscious about the extra weight I had on my back because when I let my arms relax at my side, my shirt would pucker at the stretch of the fabric in the back.

6- Even though I didn't want to focus on the number on the scale, I still want to report it here. I won't share my starting weight but by doing this program and eating a little healthier, I lost 10 pounds.

I won't say I am not happy with that but I'm actually more excited by my overall appearance. I feel stronger and leaner and healthier! I want to keep doing FB because I know besides losing weight, I am going to gain strength, endurance, and confidence.

I could list a few more small improvements but I think you get my point. It isn't about the number on the scale but the overall improvement you feel. Take note of the small things to push you forward. I don't think I would have finished a 4 week program without my mom pushing me with her. If I felt lazy she would push me. If she felt lazy I would push her. It's easy to think that all you need is a right mindset but sometimes you do need a buddy to be there to keep you on track. If my mom ever decides she doesn't want to workout, I will push her to at least try but if she says 'no', I'm not going to let that stop me from doing something on my own. I will remember the feeling of pure happiness and satisfaction I am feeling right now next time I think I can't do a workout or don't want to push myself.

3 Main Takeaway Points:

1- Focus on the small improvements to help you move forward.

2- Sometimes you can't do something by yourself. Don't be afraid to use a buddy or professional workout program to motivate you and keep you on track.

3- Kelli and Daniel know what there doing. Even if it sometimes feels like they want to kill you when the decide doing squats right before burpees is going to be fun. ;)