Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

HIIT VS normal cardio

Hi everyone!

I am fairly new to working out and I am trying to understand how the body/nutrition/workout work.

I like doing especially HIIT and pilates. Since I am trying to lose some weight I came across HIIT and i want to go in depth with the science behind it.

As Daniel and Kelly always say it is so much better doing a HIIT routine than spending hours on the treadmill because it burns more calories in a shorter amount of time plus you will be burning some extra calories after the workout.

Yesterday I came across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsbGOnIEPxE I am not familiar with all the arguments that he talks about (especially the part of the fuels that the body uses for each workout). I understood that based on what he say, there are benefits from HIIT but those are irrelevant compared to normal cardio workouts (though I believe that he's considering a 1:1 workout-rest interval ratio - and in D&K workout videos the workout time is always larger that the rest time). He also says that in order to burn more fat the body needs to have more muscle, and for having more muscle you basically need to feed your body properly and not being in a calories deficit.

I would like to discuss about those things with someone who knows a little bit more about it than me (it is really easy ahaha). This guy caught my attention because he's saying something a little bit different from all the others I have seen so far and seems to have science behind his arguments.

I would be really glad to discuss it with you :)