c
Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Why so many 2-week and 5-day challenges? (mild vent)

This is a mild vent, but a vent nonetheless.

I like FB and I have been using it for a long time (since the PDF days). For the most part, I have appreciated all the changes that have been made as FB has grown, but my one gripe is with the number of 2-week programs and 5-day challenges that have been released.

Do not get me wrong here; the 2-week programs and 5-day challenges have theire place, and I have used them both. However, these programs are too short, and any benefits I gain from them are not noticeable because they are so short. I would have to do these programs over and over, which I find that demotivating, so I rarely do them.

I use the workout programs pretty much exclusively so the 4-week programs are my sweet spot. The 4-week programs aren't too long, but they are long enough for me to settle into the program, get a good mix of videos, feel and see noticeable changes, and avoid having to pick a new program every few days.

I mostly do strength-based programs, so I think the most recent 4-week program is Jumpstart, which was released 1-2 years ago, so I find myself using the older programs more than the newer ones as a result. Fortunately, because these programs are longer, enough time usually passes, so the videos I've completed feel fresh again, but the downside is that I rarely workout with the new trainers on the site.

Perhaps 2-week and 5-day challenges are the direction FB is going in. It would be discouraging for me, but I understand that this method and achieving quicker wins is popular in the community. I just wanted to say that I miss the longer programs.

/vent