Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

New 5 Day Challenge Trainer Series: Barre Basics with Erica

Today is a special day as we release the Barre Basics series! I (Erica) am so excited to bring this to you all!

Barre Basics with Erica

You may recall some of my previous barre-inspired or barre-style workouts here on Fitness Blender. I continue to share in the enjoyment of barre that many of you have expressed in the comments of those workouts! With that, let's start at the very beginning with a 5-day barre series focusing on its fundamental movements, postures, and terminology. Rooted in ballet, barre also incorporates elements of dance, strength training, pilates, yoga, and more. It's known for emphasizing posture, alignment, and detail in the movement patterns and maximizes muscle usage through high repetition yet smaller ranges of motion. Most often, it's a low-impact form of exercise yet retains a high level of intensity. Those of you looking to make improvements in balance, stability, posture, body awareness, total body coordination, muscular strength and endurance, and even mobility should get excited! I always walk away from barre workouts feeling more aligned, poised, and strong in a new way. 

And guess what? You don't need any prior barre, ballet, or dance experience to join in! Remind that voice in your head that's feeling avoidant to try something new, telling you you're not coordinated or graceful enough, or trying to convince you of why you should stop reading and scroll to the next post that yes, you are capable and will feel revitalized by learning something new! This series is everyone's gateway into the world of barre as it welcomes many fitness levels and exercisers (yes, you too men!).

You can head to the Barre Basics homepage for all the details but here are a few highlights:
• 5 workouts build upon one another; plan to commit to all 5 workouts and complete them in chronological order
• The average workout takes 38 minutes to complete
• Equipment needed: a chair or countertop that comes to waist height (this will be your barre), very light weights (1-5 lbs), and a mat
• One workout is rated a level 2 in difficulty, while all the others are a 3

If you plan to jump into the challenge this week, note that this is your place to share your thoughts and progress with the Community as you make your way through the next five days of workouts. I'll be checking in on the comment thread below to answer questions and provide encouragement all week long!

I'll see ya on day 1!

xxErica