Z
Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

FB 30 - Round 2 - Review

This is the longest programme I've completed - haven't had the consistency before to complete an 8-weeker. It took me about 10 weeks in total including some travel and some downtime for a shoulder injury. My aim with this programme was to prove to myself I can work out consistently and to observe how my body and mind responded to such consistency.

IN A NUTSHELL: The very BEST thing about this programme is that it's hard to find excuses to avoid just 30 minutes of exercise a day - and so it builds strength, lung power and consistency all at once. I also walked in the range of 3-4km a day for about 4 days a week. Some HIIT workouts I'd found impossibly difficult a few years ago became completely manageable (with a few modifications) by the end of the programme.

NUTRITION: Now, note that I was quite indisciplined about my nutrition for most of this programme and only focused on that aspect in the last couple of weeks when I realised I was probably 'undoing' some of my hard work by giving in to my sweet tooth so regularly. As a result, I did not lose any weight on the scale though I notice some changes in thigh circumference and definitely detect an improvement in muscle strength there.

FUNCTIONAL RESULTS: I went on a couple of difficult hikes during this programme and found that my functional fitness had improved so noticeably that friends were commenting appreciatively on it (needed far fewer breaks, took longer to run out of breath). I also generally felt I was in a better frame of mind, perhaps owed in part to the sense of accomplishment that came with getting a workout in almost everyday.

IN CONCLUSION: this programme is great for either beginners who need to build strength, or non-beginners like myself who want also to establish consistency and a sense of self-esteem around working out (creating an identity of being a 'person who focuses on fitness').