Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Workout! Total Body Power Yoga to Strengthen and Stretch

Fulfilling more student requests this week with a longer and more traditional-style Power Yoga Flow! This intermediate level practice is suitable for most levels, with modifications offered throughout. Averaging about 3 breaths per posture, this practice slooows things down, challenging your physical and mental strength, endurance, balance, and control. Join me on the mat to lengthen and strengthen the total body! 

Total Body Power Yoga to Strengthen and Stretch

Moving with control was one of the hardest lessons I had to learn when I began my Yoga practice. As a former competitive swimmer, I was trained to sprint and I craved the intensity of the fast-paced training. When I started yoga I was not only physically unequipped to move with precision and immense control, but I lacked the mentality as well: “I’m an athlete and real athletes move quickly. A ‘true’ workout needs to be fast.” 

As you may imagine, every time I showed up on my mat with that ego, I ate my words. 

There’s nothing wrong with loving a fast-paced workout; I often enjoy a swim, run, or HIIT class in addition to my Yoga practice. However, when I was able to let go of the stories I had surrounding what a workout “needed to be” in order for it to “count,” and unattach myself from what moving slow “meant” about me, I found a new love and appreciation for intentional movement. Additionally, I realized that “slow” does not mean “easy.” 😉

Yoga moves slow because it empowers us with the tools to be in connection with our minds and bodies. Beyond the physical strength I have built from the practice, the practice has taught me that I am the only one responsible for my thoughts and actions; I can choose to be present, and when I am not, I can always make a new choice. 

My intention behind this particular flow is simple: come curious. The slower pace and repetitive movements offered throughout this practice are designed to get us into the felt experience of each posture and transition. I invite you to notice how a Downward Dog, Forward Fold, Yogi Squat (etc.) feel in your body at the start of practice, and how these experiences in movement evolve throughout. 

I encourage you to practice patience and compassion for yourself as well. Full evolutions of every posture or transition may not be available right away, and that is OK. Students often wonder if they are still receiving the benefits of the practice despite taking modifications. . . to that I respond with: if your house looks different than my house, does that mean my house is not performing the same functions as yours? The practice is designed to meet us where we’re at; you are getting everything you need from your practice, regardless of what the shape looks like. 

Let me know in the comments below if you would like to see more longer style classes like this one! Thank you for practicing with me, and I hope to flow with you again soon!

Marina