Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Workout! Restorative Yoga-Inspired Flow for All Levels

Join me on the mat for this delicious Restorative Yoga-Inspired flow, designed to help you discover a greater freedom in your joints, and release any unnecessary tension in the muscles! 

Restorative Yoga-Inspired Flow for All Levels

This practice offers a combination of active stretches, foundational mobility drills and passive stretches, all with the assistance and support of a strap. The movements and postures offered throughout this flow are inspired by a traditional Restorative Yoga practice, but have been modified to fit these objectives

• Strengthening the joints with slight resistance
  • Exploring a supported range of mobility with props
  • Releasing tension in the  muscles
  • Providing students with a foundation to begin incorporating more mobility work into their practices. 

As I get older, I begin to notice areas within my body that just don’t quite move as effortlessly as they used to. It’s almost instinctive to want to avoid certain movements that aggravate these areas, or just avoid using these areas altogether. However, if we make the choice to limit our movements, over time this will cause certain muscle groups to atrophy, and it will create further physical imbalances down the road. 

So instead of limiting ourselves and our movements, what if we got curious about our approaches? Sure, we may not be able to get back to where we once were overnight, but with a willingness to explore new approaches to these exercises, we will build strong bodies that have the chance to last the test of time. 

Our workout routines were meant to change and evolve with our capabilities over time! As nice as it would be to have the naturally open hips and elastic knees of a child forever, that is just not the way we were anatomically designed to age. However, that does not mean we just give up! It is possible to maintain full range of movement in these joints as we grow older and as our lifestyles change . . . it just might take a little extra and consistent effort!

One common misconception I had early on in my fitness journey, was that mobility work was the same as flexibility. Flexibility wasn’t important to me, so neither was mobility. I was SO wrong, and I am so glad that I learned the importance of mobility training (as tedious and as challenging as it can be sometimes). 

Mobility IS a form of strength straining; mobility, flexibility, and strength – while all different in definition – rely on one another to create a balanced body. For example: The range of movement you have in your hip joints is directly linked to the strength of the surrounding muscles, in addition to these muscles’ abilities to stretch. Without a balance of mobility (range of movement pertaining to the joint), strength (pertaining to how much force the muscle can move/impact it can receive), and flexibility (pertaining to the muscle’s ability to lengthen), imbalances in the affected area will occur. It is also important to note, that if we allow these imbalances to remain, our bodies are extremely smart and will find other ways to compensate – which could lead to further physical imbalances. 

So if you’re new to mobility training and/or unsure of where to start, I invite you to give this video a try! 

I hope this practice inspires you to keep training limitlessly, and that it leaves you feeling open and relaxed! 

With love + light, 

Marina