Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Workout! Upper Body Strength with Progressive Overload

Good morning FB Family!

Ready for some heavy (for you) upper body lifting? Hopefully you answered “yes” to this question! Today’s workout release will challenge you to increase the weights as you decrease the reps:

Upper Body Strength with Progressive Overload

This level 3 routine can be adjusted to feel like a level 4 or 5 with your weight selections and pacing. You will complete five, five-minute EMOMs, approaching your submaximal weight load for each exercise while decreasing your goal reps each round. We’re accustomed to racing against the clock during an EMOM (every minute on the minute) workout, but in this routine, we’re using this fun format to hold ourselves accountable to a one-minute timeframe for each set as well as take advantage of the accumulated fatigue from relatively short rest periods (which increases the overall intensity of the workout). Make sure to review the write-up for several tips on how to approach this workout, select your weights, and learn a bit more behind the rationale for this training style.

There was a lot going on in this workout for me, haha. I filmed this workout on one of the days during which the air quality in my area was super poor (which made my allergies worse than usual) so I wanted to claw my eyes out the entire time. It took every fiber of my being not to scratch my eyes! Nonetheless, this routine was a great benchmark for me coming off a weeklong break from lifting (I periodize my training, vary the intensities). I noted where I could have lifted heavier because strength improvements were made during my last training cycle and realized how much work Georgie still needs with biceps curls and skull crushers. Get a great laugh out of watching my left arm straight up refuse to do some of the curls and crushers – I surely did.

Let us know how this workout goes for you! I have some ideas for a few more “heavy lifting” workouts that I’ve been experimenting with and tweaking, using myself as a guinea pig. I think you all would be better test subjects than me. Agreed? Yes, I think so for sure.

See you on the screen!

-Tasha