Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Workout! Descending Lower Body Strength Ladder

Hey hey! Today’s new workout is a sequel to another workout of mine you’ve already seen:

Descending Lower Body Strength Ladder

This workout is the lower body version of Descending Upper Body Strength Ladder - with Bodyweight Cardio Bursts. In this new routine, we will complete 12 pairs of exercises, the 1st exercise in each pair is a lower body strength training exercise that will be done as a descending ladder: 45 sec on / 10 sec off / 30 sec on / 10 sec off / 15 sec on / 10 sec off. Right after that will be a cardio burst in an effort to give you a break from the weights and perhaps even shake the legs out a bit (the cardio bursts are not meant to further fatigue your legs). Each burst will be completed for 30 seconds with a 20-second rest afterward before preparing for the next pair.

In choosing your weights, I encourage you to use weights you typically would for these exercises if you’re able. That way, you can think of the extra 30 and 15-second intervals as a bonus way to get outside your comfort zone. However, if that is feeling over your head, please plan to lower your weights from the start by 3-5 lbs. The key priority in this workout is to focus on our descending lower body strength ladders. If the cardio bursts are starting to take away from your efforts here, it’s a sign to slow your pace on the cardio. You sure will see me doing that myself! With that being said, it’s important to acknowledge that not all of us have the same goals and that’s okay. If you’d like to hone in on muscle endurance and cardio, plan on choosing lighter weights and moving at a faster pace both in the strength ladders and during the bursts. 

Much more is shared in the write-up as valuable guidance before you take on this routine. I wanted to showcase how this routine can be approachable no matter what you’re feeling! Oh also, when’s the last time you brushed up on proper lunge form? There is a lot of lunging in the workout and the write-up gives you a quick assignment before starting so you can get the most out of your lunges — check it out! 

Writing to you one day after filming this workout and my legs are talkin’ to me; I’m feeling satisfyingly sore! 

xxErica