Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Workout! Stretches for Flexible Lower Body Muscles

Hey folks! Is anyone yearning for a rewarding lower body stretch sesh? 

Stretches for Flexible Lower Body Muscles — Work Toward the Splits

Whether you have the desire to obtain doing the splits or not, this routine is still for you! Above all, it has a goal of helping you ease sore muscles of the lower body, increase your range of motion so your performance is improved in other workouts, and improve flexibility in the lower region to bring on a whole host of other benefits. 

We will attempt to do the splits as the stretching sequences we go through will naturally prepare us to try them. Again, no stress, we’re just stepping outside our comfort zone and experimenting! You’ll want a mat or supportive surface beneath you and you also may want an optional pillow and/or yoga blocks to support your knees and help you modify. Due to the hard surface I am on and with a thinner mat, I myself use a pillow on one of the exercises. 

This routine would serve as a great way to get moving in the morning, wind down at night, or could be done as a stand-alone at any time you feel you need it! The more often you do it, the better (especially if you’re looking to get those splits!). I could also see this being a natural way to add an extended cool down after a workout. 

When I was a young club gymnast, many of these stretches were ones we started our practices with every day to help us stay limber and maintain tip-top form in our gymnastics skills. They have stuck with me ever since as some of my weekly go-to stretches for leg flexibility. I hope you enjoy them with me!

xxErica