Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Workout! Vinyasa Yoga With A Weighted Twist

What if I told you that you could lift weights and do yoga AND work in a little bit of cardio, all in one workout?! Meet me on the mat for this all-levels accessible, weighted Vinyasa Yoga flow!

Yoga-Inspired Flow with Weights

This low-impact, strength-building practice incorporates some weighted movements (using solely bodyweight is completely optional) to challenge your strength, endurance and mobility. This flow offers a variety of modifications to meet you where you’re at, and moves at a slow to moderate pace. Throughout this workout, I invite you to listen to your body and its unique response to every movement we take; while some exercises will feel more accessible on one side of the body, the other side may have a completely different reaction. I promise that this is completely normal, and this flow is here to help you identify and work with the imbalances that arise. Moving with control will help us to not only build strength in the muscle groups that need the work, but it will help us to strengthen the mind-muscle connection as well. 

For as long as I can remember, I have resented lifting weights. Even when I went through my body-building and power-lifitng phases in college, I really struggled to find any form of motivation to get my workout done. I really didn’t like having to move slowly, and I always felt like I couldn’t be “strong enough” to lift; I felt self-conscious in the weight section of the gym – like I didn’t belong. 

However, when I realized that resistance training would benefit my yoga practice (and it’s a necessity for long-term joint health and maintaining bone density), I was determined to find a way to make lifting weights work for me. Through lots of exploration with more traditional forms of resistance training, and more cross-functional forms of resistance training, I was able to find a variety of styles that felt fun and accessible to me. Now, I love how strong these workouts make me feel, and I thoroughly enjoy seeing how this supplementary work compliments my other movement practices. 

Maybe you despise weights as much as I did, or maybe you love weights and have more resistance to yoga? Whatever the case is, I invite you to give this workout a try! This practice is a great opportunity to experience two forms of exercise blended into one workout. The dynamic exercises offered are modifiable for all levels, and an excellent way to challenge your body and mind with movements that may be new to you! Changing things up can not only challenge and benefit your body in new ways, but it can make working out exciting again, if you’ve been missing that spark; this can even inspire you to try new forms of movement that you felt were inaccessible before! For me, trying new forms of exercise is a tool that I use when I’m struggling to ground myself in presence; the unfamiliar challenge requires my full attention and focus, and it feels good to step out of my mind for a little bit and have an experience fully in my body. 

What forms of movement do you feel resistance towards? What tools do you enjoy working with when you want a new challenge for your body and mind? Comment below! 

I hope that you enjoy this video, and it leaves you feeling inspired and empowered! 

- Marina