Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Workout! Yoga-Inspired Weighted Cardio

Some days I just can’t decide between the kind of workout I want to do, and on those days I want my workout to be a one-stop-shop. If you can relate, join me on the mat for this intense, weighted cardio and yoga fusion class, where we pull inspiration from Power Yoga, Barre, and HIIT workouts!

Yoga-Inspired Weighted Cardio

This fast-paced, high-intensity practice progressively builds total-body movements that will challenge our strength, endurance, balance and mobility. Not only do these exercises begin as foundational and build to more advanced and dynamic movements, but these exercises will allow us to explore multiple planes of movement. Modifications are offered throughout this flow however, please note that this practice is intentionally fiery.

For this workout, I invite you to move at a pace that works for you. There are many opportunities to challenge yourself with the full ranges of movement, and many opportunities to add in extra weight if that is what is calling to you. However, I understand that not every exercise (or evolution of the exercise) is accessible for everyone; I understand, as well, that it can feel discouraging to not be able to fully follow along or keep up with what you see on screen. Rather than forcing yourself to perform at a level that may not honor your body at this moment, I invite you to take this class as an opportunity to explore where your work is. For example: I know for my body, my left knee doesn’t feel good when I take full-range lunges; while I can access my full range, it doesn’t always serve me to work that full range (especially without taking the extra time my knee needs to properly warm up). Additionally, if I move super quickly in and out of a lunge, I notice that other larger and stronger muscle groups tend to compensate for the weaker muscles surrounding my left knee, and then I don’t actually benefit from the intention I set for that particular exercise. 

While yoga is an excellent form of low-impact strength building for the muscles and full-range use of joints, I know it’s not everyone’s favorite form of exercise. Truthfully (and you’ll hear differing perspectives on this and that’s okay too), I think yoga can be practiced in any form of exercise. It’s easy to think that yoga is all about the Warriors and slow, deep stretches, but the essence of yoga is mindful movement; it is about intentionally exploring connection with your body, mind and breath. So even if certain exercises feel inaccessible, or traditional forms of yoga just aren’t your go-to workouts, I encourage you to take this non-traditional class as an opportunity to connect with your body, mind and breath in the present moment. Feel the fire; enjoy the ease after the effort; celebrate yourself for showing up on the mat and for carving out time to show yourself some love. I promise the work you put in today not only benefits you, but has a positive ripple effect in everything you do. 

With love + light,

Marina