Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Plus Workout: Power Yoga Flow with Arm-Balances and Inversions

Let’s find flight, get floaty, and play upside down with this inversion-focused Power Yoga Flow! 

Power Yoga Flow with Arm-Balances and Inversions

This total body challenge will especially work your upper body, core, balance and proprioception (external awareness of your body in space). This class is intentionally difficult — AND intentionally playful — as we explore together how we can integrate inversions into our yoga flow. We are not just creating new transitions from one posture to another, we are creating transitions in our weight shift, from our feet to our hands. I encourage anyone intrigued by this practice (even if you’re feeling intimidated) to give this flow a try; while I do not take the time to break down the technique behind every inversion, I do offer modifications to work up to the inversions offered. All I ask is that you approach this practice with an open mind and a beginner’s heart (even if you’re a pro at inversions); there is always a place to work from, even if you’re not ready to let your feet leave the ground. 

My intention behind sharing this practice with you is to find a sense of connection in the work that brings up our varying levels of resistance. We all have fears, doubts and self-imposed limitations. Regardless of the story behind why we’re afraid — why we think we ‘can’t’ — I want to challenge myself, and you, to look past those stories. It’s normal to have feelings of fear and doubt, and it’s healthy to validate these feelings. However, I want to challenge us to take the next step: how can we validate these feelings, and not allow our thoughts/stories/self-imposed limitations dictate our choices? 

Getting upside down, creating new transitions and working on the postures I used to believe would never be accessible to me, have helped me find a sense of self-empowerment — on and off my mat. As much as I feel the pressures of wanting to look pretty and polished and perfect when I teach (and even when I practice), I take these challenging opportunities as reminders of play, presence, and observance: reminders that each and every moment is new; that ‘my best’ will look different in each and every moment and that I can choose to judge my practice or simply be an impartial observer. We are limitless. . . but it takes work to get to where we want to go, and we aren’t always at the starting mark that we want to be at. I invite you to embrace your resistance; I invite you to find play and novelty in any shape you choose to take; I invite you to remind yourself that you are limitless and take the actions that remind you of your inner strength and power. That doesn’t mean we need to be reckless and throw our feet over our heads with reckless abandonment; we can work through our resistance and fears by just making the choice to begin taking the baby steps towards our goals. 

Last, but certainly not least, I invite you to rest. This practice isn’t easy, nor is this work straightforward and simple. When your body calls for a rest, honor it. This work, this practice is always available for you to come back to when you’re ready. I hope that you find challenge, play, presence and lightness through this flow. I hope that you learn something new on that mat and about yourself. I hope to flow with you on the mat again soon! 

With compassion, 

Marina