Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Plus Video! Gentle Yoga Flow for Mobility

Looking to increase your mobility and flexibility, but are bored of your run-of-the-mill stretch routines? Created by popular demand, this total-body, strap-assisted, gentle yoga flow is just the practice you’re looking for, to find a greater rinse and release for those stiff joints and achy muscles! 

Slow Yoga for Mobility

This Vinyasa Yoga practice slowly explores a combination of foundational and evolved postures, designed to actively open your shoulder and hip joint ranges of motion, decompress the spine, and lengthen tense muscles throughout the entire body. With the help of a yoga strap, you may find that you are able to achieve a greater depth in various postures, and certain poses may become more accessible if they weren’t before. While this entire flow can be taken without a strap, this tool can help you to modify parts of your flow that you may not have been able to access before, and take your practice to new depths. 

I encourage all levels to try this slow flow, however it may help to have some embodied experience with the foundational postures prior to attempting this class; some modifications and posture-breakdowns are provided throughout the video, but I advise knowing how to modify your practice for yourself, to best suit your needs. This is a great flow to learn/gain new tools for mobility and flexibility work, utilize for an active recovery day, or take as an add-on to a resistance training workout. Personally, this is my first time utilizing a strap throughout my entire practice, and I really enjoyed it! I found the flow to be very grounding, and have loved exploring a strap-assisted, gentle practice as a part of my evening wind-down routine. 

While the benefits of this practice are seemingly endless, the greatest one that I have found is help with strengthening my posture. During this video, we explore several ways to use the strap as low-impact resistance work to strengthen the supporting shoulder and hip joint muscles, and actively open these joints. The delicious combination of strengthening and actively opening creates for more tension release in the upper and lower back, which are usually compensating for weak hip flexors and traps. In addition to these light resistance drills, we use the strap to help us access deeper and longer holds of static postures, intended to lengthen and release the muscles along the spine as well as the hamstrings. The more we open with the supported strength of our muscles, and release unnecessary tension throughout the areas of the body that are over-working (usually as compensation for physical imbalances), the better our posture becomes and the better we FEEL in our body. 

As I mentioned before, this is my first time not just practicing an entire flow with a strap, but leading students through a fully strap-assisted practice. Let me know in the comments below if you enjoyed this sort of exploratory practice, and what you would like to see next! 

With love + light, 

Marina