Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Plus Workout! Gentle Yoga for Winding Down

Release and relax with this full-body, gentle yoga flow! This slow-paced and rejuvenating practice is suited for all levels of practitioners, complete with modifications for those that find some of the postures inaccessible. Find lengthening and release in tight muscles, and opening and restoration in stiff joints. 

Gentle Yoga for Winding Down: All-Levels Vinyasa With Guided Meditation

Sometimes it’s hard to be still, and even harder to hold postures that are uncomfortable. While I know, of course, that sometimes the work is uncomfortable and still worth doing, I remember that my job is to create a practice that meets my students where they’re at, rather than force them into an experience that I think they need. In other words, there is a time and place to take a traditional, restorative practice, and there is also a space for a restorative practice that doesn’t abide by the typical standards; you can benefit from both, and only you know what is going to be best for your well-being in any given moment. 

This practice is great for active recovery! I included “evening wind-down moving meditation” because I took this practice directly from my personal wind-down routine when I’m feeling especially jittery or anxious, but trying to slow things down for the evening. Sometimes a typical restorative practice or a still meditation isn’t what I need; when my body and mind still want to keep going, but I know that it’s best for me to slow things down, I honor that call with a practice like this: slow and gentle, but something that allows me to flow effortlessly and bring my mind to single point of focus. 

One note that is important to be aware of: While this practice can be restorative in terms of physical and/or mental/emotional sense, I cannot label this practice as restorative due to what we are physically working on. While a traditional restorative practice targets fascia tissue and ligaments, hence why we hold static postures for 2+ minutes, this practice falls more in line with a Vinyasa flow since we are actively–rather than passively–targeting muscles and joints. Please take this information into consideration when deciding what form of active recovery will suit you best. 

At the end of this practice, in Savasana, I will guide us through a still meditation. Feel free to continue moving if that feels best for you, or choose any posture that feels the most comfortable and will allow you to settle into stillness. Of course, this is completely optional and you can end the video after our movement session if you would like (although I highly recommend staying for the guided meditation :). 

I hope that you enjoy this grounding practice, and that it allows you to feel more at peace in your body + mind. 

Marina