Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New FB Plus Video: Beginner Power Yoga with Posture Tutorial and Technique

Ever wondered if you’re doing Downward Dog right? Or maybe you hear your yoga teacher say words like “vinyasa,” or “Sun A” but you have no idea what they mean? Let’s take the time to break down technique and alignment for typical, foundational postures in this beginner-friendly Power Yoga flow. 

Beginner Power Yoga: Posture Tutorial and Technique

This workout is perfect for those that are brand new to yoga; those that are curious about Power Yoga, but have maybe felt it was too fast-paced and confusing; for anyone looking to bring it back to the basics and work up a little sweat! 

While this practice starts out slow, each round that we repeat a posture and/or sequence will get progressively faster, building that internal fire and elevating the heart rate. We will, of course, warm up nice and slow, and then begin to slowly break down each posture and transition of a Sun A; we will repeat a Sun A for 5 rounds, and with each round we will pick up the pace of our movements and our breath. When we move to Sun B’s, we will return to our starting pace of a slow and steady rate, and again, progressively move a little faster with each round of a Sun B. Overall, the practice as a whole will move more slowly than a traditional Power Flow, perfect for students still learning the postures and exploring their alignment. While the pace of the flow fluctuates from slow to moderate, there are many plane changes–meaning that we move from the mat to standing and back. This is not a restorative yoga practice which primarily focuses on holding seated and reclined postures designed to gently increase mobility and flexibility; this is a power yoga flow, designed to elevate the heart rate and build strength, all while actively increasing mobility and flexibility. 

Even if you’re not new to yoga, bringing it back to the basics can be a great reminder if you haven’t practiced in awhile. Though I practice yoga nearly every day, I love taking power flows that move slowly and break-down the technique/alignment for postures; each time I take my practice down to its bare bones, I notice something new. For example, I notice that I often lead with my right foot when I step from Down-Dog to Forward Fold, but typically step back from Half-Way Lift to High Plank with my left foot leading. Noticing these small habits allows me to not only recognize my default movement patterns, but the increased awareness helps to bring me out of auto-pilot and back into a world of presence + curiosity, with a newfound eagerness to play + explore with new choices. . . and if that’s not enough, here’s some cold-hard science: breaking default movement patterns and introducing new ones helps to create new neural pathways in the brain! Don’t even get me started on the endless benefits of creating new neural pathways – you’ll be reading all day! Anyway, my overarching point is that this practice, while intended for new yogis, is a great resource for seasoned practitioners as well. :-)

No matter what level of fitness you would classify yourself as, I hope this power flow sparks a sense of curiosity in your yoga practice, and that you leave this workout feeling empowered and rejuvenated. Let me know in the comments below what other postures and/or sequences you would like to get a technique/alignment breakdown of, next!