F
Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Sweaty workouts causing an irritated scalp

Hi Blenders!

I tried searching but most of the results I got for this suggested things like CO washing or dry shampoo, both things my scalp hates, and they seemed more geared towards a different issue (more to do with how to clean hair without shampoo).

The short version is that since I've started Strong 2, I have three very sweaty workouts a week and two sort-of sweaty workouts a week, and my scalp is rebelling. I'm getting the same yellowish flakes I get if I sleep on my hair when it's still too wet or if I try to use sulfate-free shampoos.

I think the problem is less that my hair needs washed, and more that it needs to not be damp as often/for as long as it is (so washing more won't help!).

More info:

My hair is somewhere between hip and tailbone, and it's 2a/F/iii; if you're not familiar with hair typing, that means it's slightly wavy, fine, and very thick. The length and texture/thickness means it takes a very. long. time. to. dry.

I wash my hair once every 5ish days, which my scalp was fine with until I started sweaty workouts more frequently. I use a gentle shampoo (Avalon Organics - the rosemary one) and condition from the neck down.

With my current schedule, I workout around 5:30-6pm, shower, then make dinner, which works out really well for me for the most part, but it means that on days I wash my hair, it's still damp when I go to bed. On days I don't wash my hair, it's probably still in my workout braid until the next morning ;) (okay, or sometimes the morning AFTER that; WFH life is making me the world's laziest with my haircare)

Things that don't work for my hair/scalp: CO washing, ACV rinses, dry shampoo, sulfate-free shampoo, shampoo bars (syndet or soap), frequent washing.

The things I'm thinking might help are:

- taking out my braid after my workout, scrubbing at my scalp a little with water in the shower (trying to keep the length dry), and then loosely re-braiding before I make dinner

- taking out my braid after my shower, shaking my hair out, and then loosely re-braiding, to help my scalp get some air flow to stop it being damp for too long

But I wanted to see if anyone has any other suggestions; I can't imagine this is an uncommon problem so I'm open to hearing what's worked for other people with tetchy scalps!

Thanks!

ETA: After showering after my workout yesterday, I think I've figured out what the actual issue is. I don't wear a shower cap (nor do I intend to) when I shower after my workout, so my scalp hair DOES get wet, much more so than from sweat alone. And then I leave it tied up all evening/into the next morning. So I think I just need to make sure to take it down and let the scalp hair dry in the evening and it'll be all right!

Edited