Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Free Workout! Quick Bodyweight HIIT with Active Recovery Intervals

Good morning FB Family! 

I hope you’re ready to kick the week off with a quick but intense workout: 

Quick Bodyweight HIIT with Active Recovery Intervals

With very little recovery time between exercises, the sweat will fly in today’s workout. This routine includes isometric contraction-plyometric exercise pairs, active recoveries, and a sprinkle of 45-second challenges. Transitioning from a constant muscle contraction directly into a quick-twitch muscle fiber dynamic movement pattern improves your ability to quickly adapt, adjust, and respond to varying energy demands. Plus, it’s downright fun to imagine that you’re an athlete on the starting blocks or at the starting lineup preparing for action. I can’t be the only person who finds this entertaining. Right? 

HIIT workouts can improve your cardiac capacity and output, increase post-calorie burn, and perhaps most importantly, build your mental stamina for challenging workouts (and non-fitness endeavors by extension). Put forth your best effort during each interval to reap these benefits and notice how your performance improves with each attempt at this workout. 

In the video, I verbalize and demonstrate breathing cues to encourage you to gain control of your elevated breathing/heart rate. Challenge yourself to regulate your breathing during the isometric contractions and active recovery intervals so that this practice of self-regulation becomes your default during the more demanding intervals. 

I loved planning and filming this workout! A little behind the scenes: My legs were already spent during the first couple exercise pairs, because my timer kept malfunctioning and I had to film these segments three times in a row. You’d think that after two rounds of re-filming I would have opted for a full reboot on my iPad to fix the timer. Nope. I instead used evil eyes and threats to “trade you in.” Needless to say, the iPad wasn’t fazed. 

I hope you have fun with this routine and surprise yourself! Right at that moment when we want to give up, we always have a smidge more to give. After a while, all the smidges add up to big changes. So, give a smidge more in this workout and see just how far this smidge takes you in the future.

See you on the screen!

-Tasha