Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New FB Plus Workout: Pelvic Floor Relaxing: Stretches to Down-Train Overactive Muscles

Happy Friday Everyone!

How is your week going? 

Today I’m here to bring a common pelvic floor myth to light. Truth is, while most undesirable pelvic floor symptoms are credited to having a weak pelvic floor, the opposite can also be true! This workout release specifically hones in on relaxing an overactive (or hypertonic) pelvic floor with stretches and guided breathing.

Pelvic Floor Relaxing: Stretches to Down-Train Overactive Muscles

What we don’t realize is how much the stress in our body can lead to increased tension in the pelvic floor. If you’re someone that carries stress in their jaw (like me!) you could be tensing up your pelvic floor a lot more often than you know. Another cause of a hypertonic pelvic floor could be the result of tight muscles surrounding that area such as the adductors and piriformis.

While this video is not meant to treat or diagnose pelvic floor dysfunction, it will help you increase awareness of your pelvic floor and give you simple tools to ensure it is in a relaxed state when it needs to be. I’ve split this routine into 3 parts for a comprehensive mind/body approach:

• Part 1: Guided body scan to tune in and relax the entire body
  • Part 2: Connecting to the pelvic floor with guided breathing
  • Part 3: Stretching to relax the muscles surrounding the pelvic floor

What I love about this is how practical it is for daily life. Once you know how to relax your pelvic floor, you can tune into this while driving, sitting at your desk, doing the dishes, or walking. I personally notice when my mind is wandering or I’m thinking about my long to-do list, my pelvic floor tends to be tense… which is not good. But having this mindfulness in my back pocket is key!

This routine makes for a great extended cool-down or way to wind down from a stressful day. Enjoy these 20 minutes of peace!

Nicole