Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Plus Workout: Pre- and Postnatal Upper Body Strength with Low-Impact Cardio Intermissions

Happy Friday Blenders!

Today's workout release is a new addition to our pre/postnatal collection! 

Pre- and Postnatal Upper Body Strength with Low-Impact Cardio Intermissions

While this content and workout are tailored to pregnancy and postpartum, this workout is for anyone! We encourage you to give it a try even if you’re not in this phase of life.

As the title suggests, we have upper body strength supersets combined with low-impact cardio intermissions. Overall, this is a fun and safe level 3 workout that can be easily adapted to a level 2 or 4, based on weight selection and pace.

The strength exercises are safe for all stages of pregnancy (with modifications provided) and mimic the movements/muscles groups most often used in daily life postpartum. They’re also meant to offset the natural postural changes taking place, which helps prevent common aches/pains. The low-impact cardio intermissions will give your arms the right amount of rest while helping to improve blood circulation and overall cardiovascular endurance. 

In the write-up for this workout, I give some tips for exercise safety in pregnancy specifically for upper body exercises. Some of our common upper body exercises (i.e. push-ups, renegade rows, chest presses) are unsafe at a certain point in pregnancy and must be modified to protect the core. Be sure to check that out if you are modifying other non-pre/postnatal workouts.

There’s something to be said for training your body for the demands of pregnancy and parenthood. Having been a mom now for two years, I can say that my upper body strength has come in very handy! From the early days of carrying the awkward baby carrier, to holding a baby (now toddler) in one arm and groceries in the other, I’m using my upper body every single day. I have no doubt I’d have some serious back pain if I hadn’t prepared for this. 

If you’re in this phase of life, or soon to be, I encourage you to start thinking about how you can prepare your body for the demands of pregnancy and parenthood! Where are you at on your journey? What other workouts and content are you interested in seeing?

Enjoy the workout!

Nicole