Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New FB Plus Workout: Quick Lower Body Yoga Burnout for Quads and Ankles

Don’t skip leg day, and take this quick power practice instead!

Quick Lower Body Yoga Burnout for Quads and Ankles

In this practice we will focus primarily on strengthening the quads, glutes and stabilizer muscles in the ankles, as well as increasing mobility in the hip joints and flexibility in the hamstrings. As always, it is important to build strength in each of the areas aforementioned, so I highly recommend cross-training to support the hip flexors and hamstrings. 

My favorite part of this workout is the Chair Pose portion — specifically, the full range squats. As someone with a troublesome left knee, I have found that incorporating full range squats has been extremely helpful in strengthening the surrounding ligaments and tendons that support my knee cap in terms of having a fuller range of motion – standing up and squatting down. Furthermore, these full range squats with knees over the toes helps to strengthen the VMO, which is the innermost upper quad; this is an area I need the most work in, as it helps to stabilize my knee cap. If you don’t quite have a full range of motion, (it’s painful to squat all the way down) work from where you’re at; you can even place a block underneath your heels to provide a little leverage and support. Over time, these movements can help to bring full range of motion and strength back to the knee. 

I hope you enjoy this practice and that it challenges you! Feel free to share your favorite part below! 

Marina