Daily Check-in: Saturday, February 5th

Hey all! And welcome to our weekend editions of check-ins, i.e. ghosting👻 ( i.e. guest-hosting😊) Looking forward to chatting with you again.

So! How is your day going? What do you have planned, workout-wise, food-wise and any other -wise? Something you're looking forward to, something you're dreading? Something already checked off? Or no plans at all is good too. In any case I hope you breeze through the day as smoothly as possible.

For a bonus topic today, I'd like to talk about smells 😤🤪😆 Not because I'm smelly after a workout (not yet anyway), but because yesterday on my walk I was transported to a different place thanks to a smell. And I love it when that happens! Comes out of nowhere, unexpectedly, you weren't thinking about that thing at all, and then suddenly you are there. It was the smell of burning wood furnace somewhere combined with wet earth. I think. That's another thing I love about it – I can't describe the smell exactly and I could not willingly evoke it, but when all the right details combine and hit my nose, I KNOW this is exactly the scent of the region my mother is from, the woods in the mountains and their small villages.

It had me going to try to remember more examples of smell associations for me, and I did manage quite a few, but I could only think of childhood ones (or teenage years tops). I wonder when do smells stop engraving in our brain as memories?

So the question of the day is – what are your memory smells? Or smelly memories? 😁 Share some if you can. Do you like them or dislike them? Are they most often related to places? To people? To feelings? To events? To things?

I think it's most often places for me. And occasions. Sometimes it can remind me of people but very randomly, as in, a weird choice of people, for example a mom of my childhood friend wore, I guess, always the same perfume and I had absolutely no idea that I had even noticed it until I recognized it decades later and knew without a doubt "oh, this is how such-and-such's mom used to smell". While I have no such flashbacks with people much closer to me.🤷‍♀️ Weird weird thing to be surprised by your mind like that! But I love it. Feels much more instinctual than reasonable, but I do wonder about the reason behind it. Like what are the moments when our brain chooses to store a smell in memory? It can't be only "it was a distinctive and memorable smell", must have something to do with our perceptiveness to it at that moment, no?

I wonder what it would be like to be a dog🐶 or any animal that can "read" so much info from smells. When I'm walking my pup-in-law and she's constantly stopping and sniffing stuff, I think how that is to her like reading papers or scrolling through news feeds to us. And I envy a little 😄

Okay, time to go from memory smells to real after-workout smells, at least for me. It's going to be this one https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/intense-at-home-hiit-cardio-and-abs-workout-abs-on-fire and if I have enough energy left, there is an EC suggested too - https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/happy-healthy-strong-body-boot-camp-strength-and-cardio-tabata-workout. Will see how it goes.

Oh, and for a measly attempt to make all that smell ramble seemingly related to why we're all here – does any smell remind you of fitness or health?

Over to you now and thanks for checking in!🤗

***Note: These Daily Check-in posts are open to anyone and everyone who wishes to participate! All are welcome here! These check-ins are a way to stay motivated, accountable, and be supported as we all try to be our healthiest selves. Feel free to pop in and say 'hi' anytime, and post as much or as little as you wish! No prerequisites here! Feel free to add photos if you want as well! Whether you need advice about working out/eating well/life in general, just want to comment, or maybe need support during a hardship--we're here for you! So: Welcome to the FB Family, and to the Daily Check-ins! We appreciate you being here!***