Posted in: Workouts / New Releases

New Plus Workout: Restorative Yoga for Lower Back and Hips

Hello everyone!

Thank you, again, for a warm welcome last week. I am excited to be a part of this community, and I look forward to flowing with all of you!

Pivoting from last week’s Fire Flow, we have a yummy, cooling, restorative flow this week—truly accessible for all levels! Restorative Yoga for Lower Back and Hips is a great workout if you’re looking for some gentle movement on an active recovery day; if you have a tight lower back and hips; or if you are just looking for some slow-paced, gentle movement (and stillness)!

This movement was inspired partially by your requests for something more accessible, and because I have been working with a lower back injury that has challenged me to look at my practice in a new way: Do I give up my practice just because my movements are limited, and certain postures that used to feel really good and easy no longer feel good? Or do I use this experience to learn more about how I can make my practice meet me where my body is at in this moment? I feel a lot of resistance towards the second option, but I know working through my resistance will serve me better long term. So here we have it, a restorative practice that can help release tension held in the lower back and hips! Of course, if you feel any pain or pinching in the postures offered, please listen to your body and take a less intense version of the static stretch; use your props to create more physical support; or come out altogether and take a posture that you would prefer. You and your body are your greatest teachers—always listen to them over my suggestions!

I hope that you find this practice to feel delicious and opening and maybe even a little challenging! Stillness (in general) in a little discomfort can be extremely difficult; I invite you to sit with your discomfort, and know that there is nothing to fix/change or make happen. As always, thank you for sharing your practice(s) with me! I can’t wait to make more videos like this in the future, and please feel free to leave any requests for specific parts of the body you’d like to focus on opening/releasing in the comments.

See you on the mat!

Marina