L
Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Anxiety about Choosing Programs

This may be a little bit of a random one but does anyone else ever get insanely anxious about whether or not they're doing the "right" program?

Content Warning (just in case): Discussion of medical issues, anxiety, sort of disordered eating, etc

A little bit of backstory (I should be watching this lecture instead but ALAS this has been haunting me for over a week now): I have been mainly doing Fitness Blender workouts since the beginning of 2020 - in part of that I alternated between FB Strong and Burn (I'd complete one then do the other then repeat the other) and I THINK I made some really good progress strength wise.

However, my health issues (autoimmune conditions) exploded and I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder as well which made exercise almost impossible because I was in a constant state of panic. So I really fell off the 'consistent' side of things although if I am actively not too judgmental of myself I was actually still doing 3 days a week despite everything.

Then in February this year I started having real issues with my muscles not recovering at all. I actually had to stop working part time and focus solely on my University work because I couldn't stand up in my retail job for the length of a shift due to my legs being so sore. This (I think) came from a combination of training too heavily when I WAS training, not eating enough (and not eating enough protein) and being on medications that reduce muscle and bone density.

THE POINT IS. Recently I've started investing in eating more/eating more protein (which is honestly terrifying because I cannot get it out of my head that I'll end up gaining a ton, but I am just trying to be mindful and think of it as fueling my body because dear god with the treatment it's currently undergoing I think she could use a protein shake every afternoon LOL). ANYWAY --> The problem is now I'm mega overthinking my workouts?

I really enjoy Fitness Blender programs but people have previously given me a hard time because they think I should be doing the same 5 workouts every week and making sure that I do the same exercises and progressively increase my weight - but I'm pretty sure that the FB programs are designed with that in mind? We are always working the same muscles and I did notice myself getting stronger when I was consistent.

In response to this (people pleaser I know *eye roll*) I decided to try the SWEAT app and do Kelsey Well's PWR at Home program and don't get me wrong it KICKS ASS and I like Kelsey but it felt so much more stressful to me than FB does? So hard to put into words but it almost feels like when I use a fitness app like that all I think about is how much muscle I'm going to build + what it will look like + that I'll look amazing, etc, etc. Whereas with Daniel and Kelli I mostly think about enjoying my workouts and building a healthier lifestyle?

I think that no matter what, so long as I am challenging myself and sticking to the program I will gain muscle mass - it's just this weird fear that I have that I'm missing out on the gains that people are getting from other programs? IT MAKES NO SENSE I KNOW - the point should be that you do the workouts you enjoy as that makes it easier to stay consistent but this seems to be the weird mental gymnastics course that I'm in at the moment.

Anyway - I hope you are having a lovely day, I don't need to know anything about you to know that you're absolutely killing it so stay strong, stay safe, take care of yourself and love yourself (cheesy but important) c: