Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Picking Heavier Weights

I do my workouts at the gym and plan to continue doing them there (i.e. not going to solve my problem by buying the dumbell set the trainers recommend and use). There’s a section of the gym that has a big rack of those colorful dumbbells that don’t really go past 12 or 15 pounds each. There are heavier kettlebells too. Also these long plastic tubes with grips cut out. Sandbags as well.

Having trouble thinking through how to modify some exercises with those heavier items. Kettle bells seem to be the logica choice but for things like a clean and press it can be tricky. Or tricep kickbacks with a kettlebell.

What I can’t do is go to the dumbell section on the weighroom floor and pull a bunch of different weights away and hog them for a half hour in my own corner.

I guess I just need to try the various other heavy items I have but I guess I wanted to know if others had a similar issue. I feel it’s like when I go into a exercise class and they have you so bicep curls with those tiny weights and unless you’ve been doing push-ups and are already tired you can’t get any good burn from it.