Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

FB Mass Complete!

The Merry Month of Mass has ended for me. ;)

Before there was Strong, there was Mass. Four weeks, emphasis on total body strength training. I also think this may be the only four-week, five days a week + sixth recovery day program that goes 27 days instead of 26.

Like Strong, there are four workouts that feature HIIT. That's pretty much where the similarities end.

* Said workouts featuring HIIT are distributed differently in both programs. Mass has one a week; Strong has none in Week 1, two in Week 2, and one each in Weeks 3 and 4.

* Extra credits? Mass has four available; Strong has none.

* The strength workouts in Mass are all reps-based; Strong has a mix of reps-based and interval-based ones.

* The longest workout in Mass is close to an hour, with most (for me, at least, given I mostly follow the printables for these instead of the video) within the 40- or 50-minute ranges; Strong's longest workout is 45 minutes (not 42 like it says on the summary page), with most in the 30-minute range.

* Mass features more straight cardio as opposed to the strength training that feels like cardio that features in Strong (which I find I prefer).

I think that's why I'm not a fan of Mass: the wide presence of the straight cardio. You'd think that a program entitled "Mass" would be more about just lifting and that cardio wouldn't feature as much as it does (even though I've been using Fitness Blender for a while now and am fairly well versed in K&D's methodology. and even though I had an idea of what I was getting into). I mean, if you like cardio with your strength training, then sure, you'll like this. I just found it...meh.

6/10