B

Anyone with Thyroid issues?

I'll try to keep this short. In the past 3 1/2 years, I've put on about 35lbs. This was while actively trying to lose about 90% of the time. I've tried way too many methods to try to lose, but I end up gaining. About a year ago, I went to a new doctor who was recommended by a friend. She seemed wonderful at the first visit. She was doing a physical and mentioned my weight. I completely broke down, started sobbing and between sobs I told her about my weight gain and inability to lose. I suspected thyroid, because I had a few friends suggest that to me, but the doctor actually mentioned it before I had a chance. She found a nodule on my thyroid that she ordered an ultrasound on and ordered a full thyroid blood test.

I walked out of there feeling so...hopeful.

A week after I get all of the tests I get a call from her nurse/assistant. It went something like this: We got the ultrasound results back, everything looks okay, but she wants another one done in 6 months. The thyroid results were all "normal". Your cholesterol was a little high...the doctor wants you to lose a few pounds.

That last part was like a punch in the stomach. I went to her and asked for help losing weight and her response was to lose weight.

So, after a year of more trying...and gaining another 10-15lbs, I decided to see if she had any other recommendations. I sent her a message through their website and asked if there was anything else that she could check and told her that I had put on more weight despite dieting and exercising. Her reply was pretty much "Honestly, I've done everything that I can. Most women your age start gaining weight or have trouble losing weight".

So, now I'm feeling very lost, and discouraged. I've been reading up on thyroid health lately and it's overwhelming. But the one thing that seems consistent is that a lot of doctors just see the "normal" range on a test and dismiss all concerns.

SOMETHING is wrong with my body. I eat pretty healthy, lots of veggies and fruit. I was a vegetarian for the past 8-9 years and just this week I added chicken back into my diet, only because I thought maybe it will help. I'm just curious if anyone else has a similar story and can provide any help/information, as I'm pretty disgusted with doctors in general right now.

I am 45 years old.

Thanks and sorry this is so long!