Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Fit 2 - a review of sorts

Hello. That’s me, sitting-and-reaching. Some rambling thoughts on completing Fit2.

Duration:

Fit2 is only the second program I’ve done (Blend being the other), but I’ve completed several of the Plus Challenges (Fit, Bored Easily, Burn, 5-Day), so I feel like I’ve got a reasonable grasp of life on a program. That said, it’s definitely a step up to go from 2 or 4 weeks to committing to an entire 8 weeks - as plenty of other people have noted, it feels disproportionately longer! I did also find myself slightly resenting being tied down to Fit2 when everyone else was getting to crack on with Complete and the Booty Challenge, but they’re not going anywhere. That said, I probably wouldn’t return to this length of program lightly, simply because I find that I prefer to have a bit more flexibility in my workout life.

Workouts:

Loved almost everything. The one glaring exception was the kickboxing/core day, but at least that was the only time that kickboxing made an appearance. A lot of the workouts were familiar but some were new to me, and there were some interesting combinations that have given me some ideas for my own scheduling. Always challenging, occasionally a little daunting, but always scaleable if necessary.

There are a couple of days where workouts are repeated from earlier in the program. I opted not to do these (I understand the logic - you get to see how you’ve progressed) but I took them as opportunities to swop in some of the newer workouts.

Structure:

Most weeks are the typical lower-upper-core-upper-lower-recovery structure. Weeks three and eight deviate from this to go for a total body-recovery-total-body-recovery approach and include a 1000-calorie workout. I was a little sceptical about this (the one week in Blend that took this structure was my least favourite) but it actually worked well - rather than going predominantly for workouts including compound movements, they tended to go for several workouts focusing on different body areas individually. I found this much more satisfying than grumbling through rounds of deadlift-fly or lunge-curls.

Results:

I consider myself to be quite fit so wasn’t expecting to progress massively. I also handicapped myself slightly by being a bit over-the top and adding quite a lot of additional exercise. Even so, I was chuffed with my second PFT results:

Press-ups - 17 full and 12 half > 27 full and 8 half

Squats (20kg) - 45 > 70

Plank hold (forearms and toes) - 2 mins 45 > 3 mins 15

Sit and reach - 10cm (no change - my arms have‘t got any longer)

It was hard, but I thoroughly enjoyed it (except for the kickboxing; no one will ever change my mind on that). In fact, I liked it so much that I’ve created my own 4-week “Fit 3” routine, based closely on this, and will be cracking on with that next. Complete will just have to wait a bit longer...

A note on program length: I did this in 8 weeks straight, but I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. For people with lots of commitments, this would be quite an ask, especially if you want to do all the extra credits. Probably best to approach this being prepared to take a bit longer.

if you want to be challenged but see improvements and feel accomplished, this is a great all-round program. Lots of cardio/HIIT, lots of strength. ALL THE GOOD STUFF.

Edited