O
Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Science behind taking a break aches

Hi all,

I hope you’re all well and if you celebrate then had a lovely Christmas.

As you’re such a knowledgeable lot I thought this was probably the best place to bring my question.

I work out six days a week and have done for a long time (I’m not good not moving!!) I’ve had lighter weeks where I’ve focused on stretching or Pilates but struggle to stop completely. Anyway, over Christmas I had 4 days where I enjoyed eating lots of scrummy food (definitely more than usual). Exercise wise I did one short recovery cardio (15mins), 2 days of nothing at all and one day of stretching.....longest “break” of nothing/very little that I’ve had in a long time.

Anyway, came back to a 40 minute lower body workout today and I honestly nearly died!!!! I’m not worried as I know this is fairly normal after a break (even if it was only 4 days). I also know the struggle may well be in part to feeling more refreshed so pushing harder. I was wondering though what the science behind this was? It was a 4/5 workout which is normal for me but my legs ached a lot quicker into the routine than usual and it was a REAL struggle to get through which is not like me. Just wondering other than pushing harder if people know what the body’s up to after a break? I find all the science behind this stuff really interesting.

Thanks guys!

Looking forward to hearing your responses.