Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Struggle with high impact / jumping type exercises

I am curious if anyone else is the same or has learned to like high impact exercises.

I am M 5ft 10 SW 262lbs CW 202lbs GW 192lbs (?).

I am happy with running (not the fastest, but can comfortably do 10k and run 4 days a week) and strength training, but I can't stand high impact exercises.

For me this means the type of exercises you normally find in HIIT videos such as skipping, jumping jacks, butt kickers, high knees, burpees... basically anything that involves a repeated rapid jump type motion.

I always use to think that this was to do with being too heavy. While I am still overweight they have never got easier. I always feel like I am going to break something and afterwards my knees hurt, shinn splints, etc. I literally feel injured and it takes a week to recover before I can run comfortably again.

I rarely have any issues with running, but exercises involving jumping / high impact completely mess me up whenever I try them once a month or so (currently I run two 5ks and two 10ks a week and do four days of strength training).

Is this just a case of still being overweight?

Did anyone else feel the same way, but felt better once they reached a healthy weight.