S

Toning vs strength - question about how specific exercises affect muscle development

So today I just a workout that I'd never done before, that I LOVED - Kelli's barre routine (https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/fitness-blender-total-body-barre-workout-39-minute-barre-workout-video).

My muscles are totally on fire - in a good way. In fact I think they might be even sorer now than when I've done some of Kelli's lower body strength training workouts in the FB Blend and FB30 series (I usually use around 12 to 15 pounds per hand).

That got me wondering, is one workout really different than another? I know that "toning" for women is largely marketing, and I know the importance of women lifting heavy! But is there a difference in what lower body strength training does with my legs, compared to what the barre routine does, on a biological level? Does lifting heavy affect the muscle differently than small repetitive motions? Or, provided you're working hard enough, is muscle gonna do what muscle is gonna do, regardless of how you get there?

For instance - if I did lower body strength training 3x week for six months, versus if I did that barre workout 3x week for six months, would there be an appreciable difference in the way my muscles developed and my body looked? Or is it virtually the same?