Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

How long do your muscles take to recover?

Hello FB community!

I'm a long-term FB lover (been using programmes on and off for about 4 years), first time poster. I was wondering if it was 'normal' for people to have to take more recovery time than is scheduled in the programmes?

With cardio, 3/5 type workouts, I do fine and can do another one the next day usually. But if it's a hefty HIIT one, like with loads of squats and generally burning out the lower body, it takes me about 2-3 days for my legs to fully stop hurting! I sorta like the burn, indicates that I've pushed hard, but it does mean I'm constantly rescheduling my workouts to a day or two later. E.g. the one I'm doing now - the 2-week FB Blend - I know will actually take me a month as it'd kill my muscles to do that 5-6 workouts a week without a rest day.

I appreciate that everyone's different but was wondering if this is quite a normal thing for other people too? Even if I'm still aching a bit, I can usually do a workout every other day, but maybe wait 2 days if my legs are particularly bad. It's not so bad for my arms but still can be an issue.

If it's not usual... maybe I'm not cooling down or warming up properly? It's a little frustrating as I have to factor in that the next day, I'm not going to be much good for anything that involves stairs or lots of walking!

Thanks everyone :)