E
Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

HELP! Good Workouts for 75 yr old couch potato starting out

HELP please! I'm looking for good Fitness Blender workout suggestions I can share with a 75 year old female relative who is a couch potato and 50-60 lbs overweight (thankfully down from nearly 100 lbs overweight). She hasn't done any exercise except for brief walking for errands for years. While she does eat a decent amount of vegetables and fruit, she's addicted to fried foods, meat and low-nutritional value carbs like snacks and bread. Yes, that's the starting point. Apart from the excess weight and medication for high blood pressure (which is related to the excess weight), she's otherwise healthy.

Her low physical activity was already impacting her quality of life, because she was avoiding activities like going for a stroll in town or visiting a museum because she was afraid she'd walk too much and her knees would hurt from excess weight and tight muscles and connective tissue.

Now with Covid shelter-in-place recommendations, she's limiting herself even more. Other than cooking, she's just reading in bed or watching TV. Since keeping physically active has so many benefits, including boosting cardiovascular health, sleep quality, mood and immunity, it would be very helpful for her to start exercising.

My wife and I have always loved being active and eating healthy and we're much younger. We don't know where to start with her. We've tried to get her to eat more beans and fresh vegetables and less meat, fried foods empty carbs. We've tried inviting her for walks at her pace and getting her into a walking habit, light dance videos, light yoga, etc. She thinks of exercise as tiring and doesn't realize that exercise helps boost your energy. In two years, we only succeeded in getting her to go to a fitness walking club with a friend once and recently getting her to go to a zumba class (she liked it, then Covid struck and the class was cancelled).

I'd sincerely appreciate suggestions for a good all-around beginner Fitness Blender routine she can do at home or in her backyard without any special equipment other than a chair or other household items.

We also thought of suggesting she exercise with a friend online, so that it's social, more fun and so she has more incentive to stick with it.