Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

FB Mass Complete 2nd Time - Review

I finished FB Mass for the second time on Sunday and I usually post my hopefully not boring review the day I finish the programme or maybe a day later but now it’s been rather hectic at work ever since the holidays so I got my head down to finish all my tasks. But enough of this rambling and back to FB Mass.

I had to check what I wrote last January because I obviously don’t want to repeat myself although I might refer back to my previous observations. Mass is not an easy programme although I found it a lot tougher last time. It’s quite similar to Strong in terms of structure and also the ratio of HIIT/cardio to strength training, at least based on my observations. (Mass might contain a bit more HIIT, though.) Mass has an excellent, logical structure: upper-body, lower-body, core+cardio, upper-body and lower-body. There’s HIIT at least once a week and obviously cardio as well but it’s predominantly weight training. I noticed that when I’m tired I tend to dread HIIT routines but if it’s purely strength training even the word ‘brutal’ in the title can’t really deter me from doing my best.

If you really want to build muscle, you shouldn’t shy away from lifting heavier weights than usual but be careful if you are a beginner and aren’t used to weight training or if you don’t know what your weak spots are. By weak spots I mean parts of your body that are more prone to injuries. Learn the name of those muscles because they demand respect! (If they happen to be joints they demand even more respect...) I worked really hard this time (feeling deep respect for my left epicondylus lateralis humeri) and unlike last time I was almost constantly sore. This is probably the only kind of pain you can laugh about. ’Oh, I can hardly lift my arms. Hahaha!’ This is the pain we know very well. The programme structure leaves you enough some time to rest those sore muscles while torturing the others, which is brilliant.

Perhaps some of you aren’t familiar with the HUNGER, though. Working out makes you hungry, that’s absolutely logical, but just like last time, this was hunger 2.0. Unlike last time though, this time I started planning my dinner during the warm up instead of the cool down. Unfortunately, unlike some other Blenders, yes Florian, if you’re reading this, I’m pointing at you, I have absolutely no idea how to eat while trying to build a bit of muscle. I look at my lunch and say ’yes, protein, carbs, veggies, looks lovely and enough’ but then I end up feeling like a baby wanting to eat every three hours. At least my meals are colourful and as Jamie Oliver once said if your food is colourful you’re doing something right.

Last but not least, the results make me really chuffed. I’m definitely stronger, although I have to add that it’s not entirely thanks to Mass. Doing Mass has strongly contributed to my progress but it’s mostly due to the fact that I’ve managed to consistently work out for years now. Don’t lose heart if you have to reschedule or cancel your routines, though. Just do your best and give Mass a go. Good luck!