Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

FB Strong - review

I've been putting off doing Strong because I had a sneaky feeling it might end up being my favourite program (especially with extra credit HIIT/cardio). But now it's done! And I have to say... Yeah, it's pretty good.

Things I learnt:

1. Why Strong is everyone's favourite program.

2. Why there is no Strong R2, and might not be for a while yet... (But hopefully K&D will get there eventually!)

The answers to both are really the same. But first: results!

Well, I don't look and feel any different, but I had a blast, and that's all that really matters to me. Sorry to disappoint!

Now second: program structure.

As with most recent programs, weeks 1, 2 and 4 have two days upper body, two days lower body and one day core. Week 3 has three days total body, one day core and one day recovery. Weeks 1, 2 and 3 all have the optional recovery day 6. There's nothing out of the ordinary here.

So what is it about Strong???? Well, here's the secret:

Strong is essentially 19 of FB's most iconic strength training workouts. Pretty much every workout was one we all know by name or description. There was "descending reps" and "guaranteed muscle burnout" and "Daniel's core workout with weights" and so on all the way through the program. Every workout was different - something special in some way.

As a result, I found that I either absolutely loved or absolutely hated most of the workouts. Not much in between. (Fortunately, I only hated a couple of them!!)

There were a few HIIT workouts in Strong - but I haven't really made mention of them so far because I felt that they were only included because the HIIT just happened to be part of whichever iconic strength workout (and there was one warm up + HIIT with a shorter strength routine).

The first two weeks, I added in my own HIIT and not-so-HIIT cardio workouts. This worked really well. Highly recommended!

The second two weeks, I added in extra flexibility. This also worked really well. Highly recommended!

In short, this is a fabulous strength training program. If you love K&D’s strength routines, you will love this program. And I think it's really flexible and works well on its own, with other sports activities and also with extra cardio or stretching.

Now I just can't wait for K&D to release 19 more Blender-favourite strength workouts so we can have Strong R2!

Edited