Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Anybody make their own workouts?

I realize most of us are here because we follow along with Kelli and Daniel's videos. But when I started up YouTube yesterday, I saw my Watch Later list was getting pretty long. Sometimes I just make that a Weight day, but I really didn't want to just lift weights.

I don't know about you, but just winging it doesn't really work out for me. To keep moving, I either have to follow along or have something laid out neatly in front of me.

But I came up with an outline for a workout that I could improvise as I moved along:

A) Lower body weight exercise

B) Cardio exercise

C) Core exercise

Do that A,B,C -> A,B,C -> A,B,C, While I gasp for breath after that 3rd round, and my brain is starved of oxygen, come up with 3 new exercises for the next group.

Turned out to be a really good format.

Specifically, I did

Squat -> Mountain Climber (30 each leg) -> Jackknife Crunches (12)

Bulgarian split squats (8 each side) -> High knees (30 each leg) -> Bicycle crunches (12 each side)

Straight-leg deadlift -> Pop squats (25) -> Back bows (25)

Calf-raises -> Power Skips (12 each leg) -> Side crunches (12 L/R)

And then I laid on the floor not wanting to get up. And quite sore today, so I guess it worked.

And I knocked out 4 or 5 videos off my Watch Later list, which I would normally do lounging on the couch.

I would say this is the first time that I threw together a workout routine and thought: "Hey, this really worked and seemed like something I would do again." that wasn't just lifting weights.

And it got me thinking...any other blenders out there that kinda do their own thing every now and again?