Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Starting a modified Booty/Flex combo

Hey friends,

Just wanted to share my plans and goals as I kick off a new program, it will be interesting for me to compare when complete!

I started my first program with Abs R1, thinking it was important to build up my pretty weak core first and foremost. I've really enjoyed the program and made some progress I think. I completed 3/4 weeks before deciding to change up my program. I don't feel bad about "quitting" when I'm so close because I think this aligns more with my goals! Abs was just a little more hiit/cardio than I want right now, and Week 4 looked super intense.

So now I'm doing a Booty/Flex combo spread out over six weeks instead of 4. So 2 workouts a week from each, adding a core-focused day of my own design on the 5th day. I am also making sure I get core in 3x a week total with extra vids if needed. My overall schedule looks like Lower/Core - Upper - Core - Lower - Upper/Core. I've also ensured I have 3 cardio sessions over those days, no more than 2 being hiit. On two days I also take a studio yoga class (one overlapping with a workout day so I also have 1 day of total rest).

I did Booty R1 D1 yesterday. Not gonna lie, the first day's workout scared me off and I subbed in a 3/5 workout instead haha. I did complete the extra credit squat challenge at about 80% I'd say. I am looking forward to re-doing Day 1 as designed and giving it my all at the end of the program and seeing how far I've come! Right now I'd say lower body is way weaker for me and I'm still working on form. I am comfortable doing basic squats with some weight but still finding my bodyweight balance with lunges. I feel like substituting deadlifts with bridges/thrusts for now until my back/core is stronger but will probably play with bodyweight here too to get the form down.

I did Flex D1 today. I am much more comfortable doing Upper Body work and pushed myself through the main vid and extra credit! Feeling shaky and like I did challenging work to the best of my ability. Last time I got fairly into strength training I think I was up to a 15lb bicep curl (or was it only 12?) and today I found I could do 3 sets of 10 reps with 9lb and found it doable but a challenge, so not too bad after a year+ mostly off.

I'm really looking forward to the combo of both these programs plus the core work, and doing it over 6 weeks seems just right to me. By the way, if anyone tries to do the same, yes it was a huge pain to arrange that on the calendar, but worth it haha. :)

Edited