Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Where to start- not a beginner- but not intermediate either :) Super sore after intermediate programs

Hi everyone,

I am 44 and looking to start changing up my exercise routine, and I am not sure where to start. I am a pretty healthy, and fit person- especially with flexibility and cardio. I used to be a runner, but then started getting minor injuries, so most of my daily exercise is walking (fast and up very steep hills), I also hike and practice yoga and Chi Kung. I also swim in the winter months at the pool.

So I am obviously missing strength training, and endurance, and as I age noticing that I am needing to change up my fitness program. I love the little bit of HIIT I have done, and the few FB videos..

Where I would like support is-

I start the videos (both here and at other sites I have tried), that are of an intermediate level.. and then I get so sore. For example. I started the 5 day challenge Fat Loss... and did 2 days.. lower body and arms and cardio.. I am fine during them.. I wouldn't say that I push at it.. but I don't take it . "easy", I sweat.. and enjoy it. I feel challenged but not over done.. Yet my legs and butt don't know what hit them.. After the 2 days I took a day off, and am still sore,, need to take another day off....

I would love to be able to start a program that I can continue with some soreness, but not debilitation.. I don't think I am an absolute beginner, as I am pretty strong, and want to feel like I have a workout.

I would love to hear advice about where to start. Or recommendations of programs to work with.

I do stretch afterwards...

Thanks so much for any advice?