K

Noob

Hi.

I am trying to get up the gumption to do more than sit and type. I decided to become a member so I could mark some workouts for quick use/reuse.

About me: I'm in the shady end of my 40's, my BMI (a silly measure, I know, but whatever) is 32.4 which sits in the obese category. I am a mom of twin teenagers. I have a completely sedentary job in tech and I work from home. I am in good health overall, my blood pressure is on the low end and other measures are good, but I am definitely not in shape. I have also been struggling with depression since the kids were born. In our house we eat plant-based (vegan if you like) for health reasons and have done so for about 6 years. We don't require the kids to eat vegan when they're elsewhere.

My family are all more athletic than I am. My husband set up the bike trainer out in the garage for me, but it's hard for me to want to use it if nobody else is out there. When the kids' spring activities start I'll have an excuse to walk around the parks where they practice, but most days I never manage to leave the house.

Because I love to read, I already know that exercise is good for all the issues I struggle with from sleep interruptions to depression to migraines to excess weight. If knowing were the same as doing I'd already be fit and strong.

Anyway, I appreciate all the free stuff available on this site, it makes for a low barrier to entry. Now all I need is the gumption.

A recent change in my medication for prevention of migraine is making me feel extra blah and unmotivated. I am trying to give myself time to get used to the new dosage, but if it doesn't get better in the next few days it's gonna have to go. Some antidepressant medications gave me that same bump-on-a-log feeling and I don't want to go there again. I felt like I was slowly turning to stone.

I need to write a prescription for myself to exercise every day (or at least most days) and stick with it. I think if I could do that I might be able to get rid of my medications as well as be more able and more inclined to do adventuresome things with the family. I am at this point beyond trying to change how I look, I need something I can live with day in and day out. Diets and exercise regimens in the past were a thing to start and stop, and that way doesn't work. So I have to figure out what I can do for myself without anyone else around, without any good weather or equipment, without a drive to get somewhere. Something with a low barrier to entry that I can look forward to every day.