Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Workout Program Progression

Hi all,

Several years ago I followed Fitness Blender workouts a little. Since then, I have only really been focusing on exclusively cycling.

I'm currently spending about 10-12 hours a week on the bike doing structured, power-based training. I've decided I really need to add some strength training in. I would like to increase my strength, improve my core to assist with pedalling efficiency. I've also taken up mountain biking, and have noticed the more dynamic movements take a heavier toll on my body. I'm very quad dominant (as you would expect!), and would also like to try tone up and improve body composition.

I just purchased the PowerBlocks U90 set given dumbbells seem to be the main piece of equipment used.

Given I haven't done any strength training for a few years now, is anyone able to recommend a natural progression through the workout programs? Or maybe I'm trying to plan ahead too much?

I was thinking of starting with FB Low Impact. Not sure if I should then jump straight to FB XT or perhaps another program.

I have no issue sacrificing my riding a little in favour of the Fitness Blender workouts. Would even be happy to do 6 - 7 days a week, and just lower the intensity and/or volume of my cycling.

I'm happy to put a good effort in and push myself. I know strength training is not cardio, but I'm fairly comfortable doing 1.5 - 2 hour fairly moderate to high intensity intervals on the bike on weekends and burning 1000-1200 calories (based on a power meter).

Thanks!

Edited