Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

FB30 Round 4: Review

I've just finished FB30 R4, so it's time for a review!

I don't weigh, measure or photograph myself, or do the PFT, so I can't help with traditional results! But I'll start with what I've noticed in other respects.

My goals on commencing this program:

1. Get asthma back under control through HIIT.

2. Get migraines back under control by not overdoing it!!

3. Increase flexibility by adding a yoga-for-flexibility workout to each day.

For all three of these goals, FB30 R4 delivered. There's plenty of HIIT with Daniel, which I find most effective for improving my cardio fitness. And because the workouts are all around 30 minutes, I've had the time and energy to add on an external yoga workout or my own stretching routine each day, which has done wonders for both migraines and flexibility.

FB30 R4 is a great blend of HIIT and upper/lower/core strength training, with some cardio, pilates and stretching mixed in. While it's designed for "busy people", I found that the roughly 30 minutes workouts made it ideal for adding in a personalised key focus - mine was flexibility, but I bet it would pair nicely with Flex, Booty or Reach, too.

Best of all: it includes two of the brand new 2019 workouts, both of which are fantastic.

The workouts were a lot of fun. I did struggle through week 3, in which the training style was alternating total body with core - not my preferred! But that's just personal preference, and I do like that there was variety in the weekly structures.

The trouble with it was... Well... I'm not actually a "busy person". I have plenty of time to work out, and I like to work hard. At the end of each week, or every few days, or after a lot of the workouts, I felt like I could have done a lot more - and yoga on top of that. 30 minutes just isn't quite enough.

However, on the bright side, it's only a 4-week program, which means I can push through it, add in some extra work if I want to, and then move on to something different. I might have given up on a longer program.

So in short: FB30 R4 is a great program for people who only have a small amount of time each day to exercise, or for anyone who wants a well-rounded program to add to a more specific focus. It's also a great first FB30 program, because you can see if the format suits you before committing to the 8-week programs. (Though there's an FB30 trial that's only two weeks, of course.)

(But for myself, I'm going to try something different next!)