M
Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

FB Flex Complete & review

Hello everyone!

Today I completed FB Flex. Below follows a review that is meant to be as comprehensive as possible and is thereby rather long (sorry about that, skip to the last section to have a long story short). It is of course based on my personal experience with the program, which depends on own fitness and health levels, personal taste in training styles and personal attitude towards fitness, making what follows subjective to a high degree.

Program scope, structure & features

Flex is a 4 week upper-body strength program, with 3 workouts per calendar week (i.e., a workout every 2nd day and 2 rest days at the end of each week). A significant part of the program consists of traditional superset routines, the rest are functional and dynamic strength workouts that may also combine a cardio component. Most of these workouts are repetition-based. Extra credit challenges are included in 8 out of 12 program days, typically bodyweight workouts structured in timed intervals. Their intensity covers the full range from quiet active stretching routines to extremely challenging workouts (e.g., involving antagonistic training moves that induce a torturous muscle burn or brutal workouts consisting only of push-up variations). As a rule, a regular workout would be between 30-40 min, and the extra credit challenges would add another 10 min, a couple of them being a bit longer. Apart from week 1, that includes one workout with a clear dual focus (upper body + core), the program is working the arms, shoulders and upper back 3 days per week. However, since proper form when lifting is imperative, the core gets a good workout throughout the program, and bodyweight exercises like planks and push-ups complete the job. Although some routines are bodyweight only and others might result in a good burn even without weights, dumbbells are really needed to get the most out of Flex. A mat is always useful and some routines use a bench (optional). Most of the traditional and functional strength routines are with Daniel, the more dynamic ones with Kelli, and there are three (I think) workouts with both. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Flex dates back to 2016, so it is not based on FB's most recent strength-training videos.

A little about my fitness level/goals & why I chose Flex

I've been training regularly with Fitness Blender the past 16 months or so, but FB Flex is the first program I've tried, since I enjoy very much compiling my own workout schedule. My motivation to try a couple of programs was to give something back to Kelli and Daniel and to see if the programs challenge me more and result in faster/better progress. During these past 16 months, I have become much fitter than I ever was, and most significantly I have gained a lot of strength and endurance, regularly working out with level 3-4 routines, occasionally level 5. My primary goal in exercising regularly is very long-term: I want to reach menopause (now in my early 40s) with decent bone density and muscle growth, and then to maintain those gains to the best degree possible; so, strength training is my friend and go to :-) I have also bought FB Strong, but chose to start with Flex because of its layout that gave me the opportunity to combine both modes, program and independent workouts.

My experience

I interspersed FB Flex days with independent lower-body (mostly) and core workouts, doing also some stretching and yoga on rest days and for recovery purposes, and it took me 4 1/2 weeks to complete. I used Powerblocks (Sport EXP that has two adder weights per ~ 1 kg for fine-adjustment) and a mat. Since I don't have a bench, I did tripod-stance moves using our sofa table, the rest flat on the mat, and both solutions worked great. I generally prefer to stand for the exercises Daniel sometimes does seated.

I found the program pretty challenging, mainly because of its intensive structure (3 upper-body workouts per week, when I'm used to 2 upper, 2 lower + 1 core-focused one), but also due to the choice of workouts. Most of the traditional superset routines, which I know are not everybody's cup of tea, I had done before since I love this type of strength training (slow and deliberate, focusing on form, I find it has a meditative quality); this has actually been an additional incentive to try out Flex. What has been a game changer were the extra credit challenges, most of which were routines new to me. I skipped two of them; one because it was impossible, my arms simply refused to cooperate longer after the regular lifting session, and one because I had done it a couple of days ago as a recovery workout (active stretches) and was too bored to repeat it so soon. I only added two core-focused days in my independent-workout schedule, and that because my lower body was too sore from previous workouts to do a leg-day.

I believe I achieved more and faster results with Flex than on individual workouts. It was definitely good to have the Powerblocks; being able to fine-adjust weights I suspect has a lot to do with the progress I've made, but I expect I would have achieved gains also with my former solution (4 different pairs of dumbbells). Some of the extra credit challenges pushed me far outside my comfort zone and 'forced' me to try things I would not have chosen by myself or would have considered 'a waste of time' out of fear I might not be able to do anything at all (e.g., push-up variations). I am coming out of this program with a new appreciation for bodyweight workouts and more open-minded and open to trying out things I might not feel very excited about. My gains are both visible and felt, but the best evidence by far of my progress with Flex is my performance in push-ups. I still need to build endurance and to work on specific arm/hand positions, but it feels incredible that I could do single-leg push-ups (shallow ones, but still!), because a year ago I could not manage one (1) half push-up. Honestly, I would not have tried the specific workout at this point if it was not in my calendar, staring me in the face...

There are only two elements I felt were missing: some more focus on the rotator cuff and some lower arms/wrist work. The latter was straightforward to cover on my own. Regarding the former, there is only one workout late into the 4 weeks that specifically works the rotator cuff (a very nice, comprehensive shoulder routine) and because the program is so intensive, I felt disinclined to add extra exercises working the rotator cuff muscles to the existing workouts or even in the days between (my muscles needed the time to recover fully). So, I decided to reschedule and insert a couple of 'maintenance' days to cover exactly that. Was happy to find out that I had gained strength and endurance in that area as well.

Required fitness level

Although you can always make strength workouts work for you by lowering your weights or doing bodyweight and working against yourself, I'm not sure I'd recommend FB Flex to absolute beginners. Because it is so intensive, one needs the experience to protect themselves and not overwork their muscles (let's face it, real life activities that demand something out of your upper body will also come along - e.g., I've been shoveling snow steadily the last 2 weeks on my upper-body days) and at least some foundation in terms of upper body strength and endurance, especially if attempting the extra credit challenges. I saw in the comments field how frustrated some people felt after one of those routines and although this is largely a personal attitude thing and knowing how to modify moves to work for you, I believe it helps motivation-wise to be able to complete at least something in a given routine.

On the other hand, if you are self-aware, disciplined and self-sure, go for it, but listen carefully to your body and do not hesitate to stretch out the program over time according to your needs! The slow, superset routines have excellent, detailed instruction on proper form, so in this respect they are beginner friendly.

Program vs independent workouts

Comparing training with a program against compiling my own schedule I can say the following: sure, the program takes away all the guesswork, but for me that is part of the fun. Definitely helpful when on a busy schedule though! At the same time, I felt that it challenged me more; perhaps I am a bit conservative in my choice of workouts or the program gave me some additional security that I am not in danger of injuring a muscle by hitting it over and over, since it has been structured by experts (ones I actually trust!). You need to listen to your body anyhow and make necessary adjustments, and I found that I could do so unapologeticaly, which is also an achievement for me since my obsessive side tends to get hold of me when on a schedule, and this was an additional factor keeping me away from programs. I have already covered the part about openness to new things.

Outlook & overall verdict

All in all, I loved Flex and will definitely do it again later in the year. Maybe rescheduling a couple of times more to include some kickboxing, really got to miss that! Now I'm planning a week or so of total body workouts (e.g., 3 days per week), just to mix things up a little, and then off to FB Strong :-)

Overall recommendation: Traditional strength training fans will love Flex, the rest, give it a try! You can make up for lack of cardio/HIIT or more dynamic workouts on lower-body days, and you will be rewarded generously for your efforts!