Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

FB Mass Complete - A Not So Short Review

I’ve been regularly working out with Fitness Blender for over 2 years now and I always have to add the adverb 'regularly' because I discovered FB back in 2015. I don’t know when FB Mass was added to their programmes but I definitely wasn’t ready to do it 2 or 3 years ago.

Having completed 7 programmes (Abs twice) I thought I was finally ready to give Mass a chance. It was a good decision. This programme is tough. I really don’t mean to discourage anyone from doing it, don’t misunderstand me. It can be done even if you are relatively new to exercise because there’s always an option to use lighter weights. I, however, decided to push myself as hard as I could. And here’s what I observed.

I can lift heavier weights but I always have to watch my form. Since I’ve been around for a while I’ve learned what it means and how important it is. I also realised that just because I can lift one particular weight 8 times on a Tuesday doesn't mean that I'm able to do so on a Thursday. It can be frustrating but I had to accept the fact that my body – or anyone’s body – is a complex system and it is almost impossible to have the same amount of energy and enthusiasm every single day. So if you are doing Mass, be prepared for fluctuations in your energy level.

Also, be prepared to be HUNGRY. At least, I was. Even though it’s only on average a 40-minute routine five times a week, lifting heavy weights made me hungrier. Some days I caught myself planning my dinner while doing hammer curls. So if you’re doing Mass, don’t feel bad about eating a bit more.

The difficult part, at least for me, is noticing any physical changes. Some days when I look at my arms or my calves or thighs, I do notice certain changes but I also tend to dismiss them as insignificant. If you regularly take pictures of your body while patiently continuing to work out, you’ll definitely notice changes otherwise it’s slightly more difficult because losing fat/gaining muscles and strength is a process, shorter for some longer for others. When doing Mass don’t expect significant changes. Then again, there might be. Some people are luckier in this respect than others. I’m absolutely sure that I’m stronger than when I started working out over 2 years ago and doing this particular programme did contribute to my overall strength.

All in all, FB Mass is really worth doing if you want to challenge yourself, love strength training (it includes cardio and HIIT but it’s predominantly strength training) and want to burn fat and/or gain muscle. I enjoyed doing it although truth be told there was a lot of glowering at the screen when Daniel smiled and invited me to do another round of jumping lunges, for example. However, I’ll definitely come back to this programme in the future.

What next? I don’t know. A short break for my aching muscles and then something different but equally fun. (perhaps the word fun in quotation marks...)

Edited