Posted in: Workouts / Workout Programs

Booty + Reach complete!

Hi Blenders!

I always enjoy reading your reviews of programs so I promised to do the same whenever I finish one (or two :)). So here goes, for FB Booty Round 1 + FB Reach combination.

This was my first time doing either of those programs and also my first time doing a combination of two programs. I know most of you already know this, but a short description for those who don’t – Booty is 3 days a week program for the lower body, Reach is 6 days a week of very low impact, mostly stretching videos. At first I tried to paste them exactly how they are, Day1+Day1 etc. I soon got annoyed with how long the combined days lasted (and in contrast how short were the days with only Reach) so I started merging two Reach days into one and doing them in between Booty days. That was nice. And it still left enough room to add other short workouts as well. There are some overlapping videos (“main” workouts from Reach as extra credits or recovery options in Booty) and I thought it was a cool sign of how they complement each other well.

Next time I pair Reach with another program I will either do the same thing again (the second program having just 3 days per week and squeezing Reach in between) or I would choose a program from the FB30 series, because of their shortness. I’m sure Reach pairs well with anything if you’re ready for some switching around, making it fit your schedule the best.

To talk about the programs individually, I had high expectations of Booty and they were met, maybe even exceeded. ALL the main and ec workouts were already in my favorites, woohoo!

I had just two little worries. I feared it might be monotonous, that it would feel like I’m doing the same thing 3 times a week and that everything else would be neglected if I don’t add it myself. I was wrong. There is cardio, HIIT, strength training, pilates. I wasn’t bored for a second. It even has one kickboxing video (as an alternative option). Of course most of the workouts have “lower body” as body focus in the description but some also have “total body” or “lower body, core”. I’d say the next most felt focus after LB is core. I can see how this program pairs best with Flex, to balance it out with upper body, but I can also tell you, based on how many modifications and substitutions I had to do (of anything resembling a plank or push-up, because of my current shoulder limitations) that your upper body will not be entirely resting with Booty.

The second worry was that I wouldn’t accomplish much because I had to do the program without dumbbells. Wrong again. I felt the muscles working, sometimes it even seemed I felt it more than with dumbbells. Your own body can provide plenty of resistance if you apply it correctly and really focus on the movement, what to engage, at what angles and range of motion and speed. So there’s the answer to the age-old question “can I do Booty without dumbbells”. Absolutely. I did use ankle weights though :P (where it made sense).

Results? I didn’t measure myself or take pictures. Clothes fit about the same. I think the line of my hamstrings became more noticeable through the trousers. One change that I’m sure of – my leg muscles are harder under the fingers.

Overall, I enjoyed FB Booty so much that I now have another “worry” – I plan to do Round 2 some time soon, and I see no way how it could be as good as this one. The only Booty I can imagine to be better than Booty1 would be one that had days 2 and 4 of the week laid out too. But never say never :)

Now, Reach was a different story. I picked it because I needed recovery workouts. I wasn’t enthusiastic and I’m still not sure how I feel about it. It definitely is a good and welcome addition to other programs, but how would I like it as a stand-alone? I don’t know. (this is mostly my frustration with being sidetracked talking, sorry I can’t silence it and be totally objective)

I guess I should mention I’m not a yoga fan. I do love stretching (after a workout). For recovery days I prefer light cardio or pilates. But! Even if you are like me regarding all that, you can still get a lot of positive things from FB Reach. It’s not all yoga. The nerd in me counted, out of 21 program days, 2 are Active Stretching (which btw I discovered I absolutely love and I wish FB had more of those – the 2 in the program are the only 2 I could find on the site), 6 days are pure pilates, 3 are a combination of pilates and yoga, 3 are described as “toning”, and so only 7 are pure yoga (and there are plenty of ways to make it unpure if you want to :D).

Dissecting FB Reach (and that breakdown by days is only the tip of the iceberg) has helped me figure out exactly what to search for in low impact, recovery workouts, and what I enjoy most. I even found some new favorites that I intend to do more often. And I plan to continue the search for similar. There is variety in Reach, but I do wish there were no repeat videos (there are 8) so that there was more possibility for discovering new favorites.

The most important and undeniable fact about Reach is that it made me feel good. What more could anyone ask for? :) If I was feeling stiff or tired or in pain before the workout, I would almost always feel better and lighter after it. I actually found a perfect pilates video from Reach to relieve pain on the first day of period. Not just “this is a light routine therefore I can do it without aggravating the pain” but it literally took the pain away, made it dissappear by the end of the workout and for the rest of the day! A huge milestone for me - to able to endure the first day without painkillers. I really really hope that this wasn’t a one-time thing and that I’ve found a non-pharmaceutical tool for dealing with it. Fingers crossed! And with that piece of TMI, I finally stop talking :D

I plan to do FB Low Impact next. And I’m keenly awaiting for the new videos they announced!

Have a good day, everyone :)